• In the Spotlight:

1st day of daycare

my son went to daycare the first time today (he is 11 months, 1 yr on the 26th) and i don't know how i can make it easier to part with him. he ran to the door crying when i left today and i broke down in the car and cried for like 10 minutes because it broke my heart. how can i make it easier?

wyattsmommy626

Asked by wyattsmommy626 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bought a soft, cloth book that held pictures of family members in it. My daughter could look at it and play with it while I was away.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I know its hard, but i promise it gets better!! ive dealt with that a couple times with both my kids. I was lucky enough to have an at home sitter who would test me within 5 mins and say hes all better hes having a blast now! so jsut know that usually what u see if the worst of it. Im sure within a couple weeks if not days he will find that daycare really is fun! and this is a hard age anyway!! my DS #2 will be one on the 16th, and he is soo attached to me, but he will grow out of it! Good luck!! It will get better!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 5:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Bless your heart! You are so normal! You can make it easier by keeping consistent. Every time you leave, hug & kiss him, give him a BIG smile, and say "See you later, Mommy will be right back!" And wave & leave. He will settle down within a couple of minutes, because you are gone. Most day cares are open to you calling the first days to verify that he's OK. I did that with Mother's Day Out, also. As long as he sees you smiling, he will know that HE'S OK. If you fret, he will take his cues from you, and know that there must be something to worry about. And then as soon as you are out of sight, bawl your little eyes out. Just because he's OK, doesn't mean that we don't miss him, and want him terribly! It will be better before long. Hang in there, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• When you get there, ask him what he is going to play with first. Ask him to show it to you. Then tell him "Mommy will be back for you later. Have fun while I'm gone." Then leave quickly. Keep it short and simple.

Never say "Mommy will be back later, OK?" - that "OK" at the end is basically asking telling him he has a choice, that he can say "NO! It's not OK" Since he doesn't have that choice, don't make him think he does.

Never, ever, ever sneak out. Yes, you will be spared his crying meltdown when he discovers you are gone. but he will have one anyway. And he will start to wonder if you will disappear anytime his back is turned. That will just make things worse in the long run. He deserves to have a chance to say "Goodbye".

When you get him at the end of the day, spend a few minutes there. Ask him to show you what he played with, ask him how his day was, let him know you missed him and are glad to see him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• lovetoteach, what a great idea about the book!

OP, don't worry, he will get used to it very soon, and from experience babysitting my friend's very clingy baby (who was about 8 months when I started babysitting and is now 16 months), he cries for about 2 minutes when they leave, then I find him something interesting and he is perfectly fine the whole time. :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009