You vs. Your Mother?

What sorts of things did your mother do when you were growing up that wasn't a big deal back then but is a huge parenting no-no now?

For example, my mom didn't slather me in sunblock every time I went outside, but now we know how important it is to cover our kids in lotion.

Daily Buzz Team

Asked by Daily Buzz Team at 5:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It was my dad and not my mom, but I remember riding in the back of his truck a few times. I don't remember how old I was when seat belt laws came into effect but I remember being upset when he started telling me I had to buckle up. Also, my step mom who had an in-home daycare used to pile all her daycare kids into the car and put seat belts over multiple kids. Now kids have to be in carseats and booster seats until they're 7 years old or so here, then she had little 1 and 2 year old piled in 2 or 3 to a seat belt.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My parents smoke in frount of us.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• letting me ride my bike all over the place..we lived on a military base and she used ot let me take my bike however far my legs would allow me to go..nowa days..i wouldnt DARE let my son go that far, barely outta my site ya know..people are just CRAZIER it seems these days!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my mom used to let me walk from our home to the store by myself at the age of 10. the store was about a mile away. it was no big deal then, but now-my son goes nowhere without me.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My mom let me walk to kindergarten and back alone (it was not far - about 5 minutes to walk). So did my husband's mother - but he had to walk for about 15 minutes through the woods.
    Bryans_Mom

Answer by Bryans_Mom at 5:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We milked our own cow, she made homemade bread, we gathered eggs, slaughtered our own meat (beef and pork), put up veggies from the garden, and we had to work. We are told now that most or all of those things will kill us dead, dead, dead. It's all bull, bull, bull!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i never had formula. i had cow milk from day one. i never wore shoes, i went where i wanted. they smoked, drank and cursed in front of us. popped pills. physically fought. she peirced my ears for me with a needle and a potato. and a clothes pin. and a cube of ice. and...well if it got infected she just let it close and did it again. 8 times. my crib bars were like 3 inches apart. she slept wiht me in the waterbed. (i fell under the bed one night and she couldn't find me he he) we rode in the front seat of the car, usually standing up. she gave us brandy when we were teething, and coke when we had upset stomachs. we had lead based paint in our house. shag carpeting. (i have asthma) she made me wear a rabbit fur coat once and i ended up under an oxygen tent if the stories are true. i got bitten by a snake and she didn't notice till the next day. she left us at granny's alot, my kids go nowhere. times have changed.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009