How do I get my 16 month old daughter to let me brush her teeth

I started after about 4 of her teeth were in. I put the child safe toothpaste on the brush and let her hold it and do it herself. All she does is suck on the brush, even if I just use water. If I hold the brush and show her how to do it correctly, she has a fit and will just cry at that point. I don't want it to be a bad experience for her and certainly don't want to force the issue. I even let her watch me too. Is this happening to you too?

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 6:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we have to hold our son's head. He's 2 and loves to suck on the brush. He is starting to brush the front teeth but we still have to go over it with him. we let him sit ont he counter and look in the mirror. good luck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• make it a game - i always make silly noises when i brush her teeth and let her just chew on it sometimes. The more familiar she is with it, the less scary it is. Now, when I ask if she wants to brush her teeth, she is excited.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 6:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Certainly try to make it fun. You can try letting her brush yours first, let her pick between the green brush or the red one, make fun noises, sing a silly song.
    BUT
    If all else fails, force the issue. She needs to have her teeth brushed. If she had poop all over her hands but was fighting having her hands washed, would you just say "Oh well, I don't want her to be afraid of washing her hands"? Of course not. This is a health issue too.

And sucking on the brush is normal at this age. You will need to do the brushing for another year or two. After that, you will be doing inspections and follow up brushing until 7 or 8.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My 17 month old daughter is the exact same way! We have been brushing since 3 months and all of a sudden she dosent want me to do it for her anymore. I think its just an independancy thing. I still make her let me do it. Its hard not to just so "oh, well.." But I dont have very good teeth and dont want her to have to go through what I have gone through so I make her. I have to hold her on my lap, lean her to one side and sometimes get someone to help. All the while I try to make it fun for her and talk about her being and big girl and what not. After Im done I will let her take the brush and "do it herself" and try to encourage how to do it right. I think this may be a bit of a battle for some time to come....but it will be easier than having to deal with cavities later. Good Luck.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009