My baby's weight gain is it normal??

My son is 4 and 1/2 weeks old. At his 4 month check up he weighed in at 14lb and 11oz and 25 inches long. The doctor said he is in the 50th percentile now and that he is fine. And I also should not worry. When he was born he weighed 9lb 10, 20.5 inches, 90th percentile. I thought he would always be a big baby. He doesn't look too thin at all, but he doesn't look chubby either.
I am still breastfeeding - he eats about 8-10 times a day now and just last week introduced rice cereal. Which now he only has a poopie diaper ever 2-3 days. Before the cereal it was 2-3 a day. Again, the doctor said that is normal. I know babies grow at their own rate and each is different. But I just I jsut need extra reassurance.

Thanks.

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is fine mama...you dont want a obese baby right? so you are right , they grow how they want lol even if it worries us. Go hug him right now lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Sounds good to me. My son is 10 months old and weighs 14 pounds. He was 5.6 lbs. when he was born
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 6:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• He's GREAT! You look for a pound to a pound and a half gain per month from the LOWEST weight.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son's 1 month check he weight almost 2lbs more then birth and 1 1/2 inch.. his weight was 50 percent and length 85.. they said he was doin great.. sounds like urs is too.. if he gain to much one month or not enough.. im sure it will all balance out.. dont worry :)
    1sttymmom409

Answer by 1sttymmom409 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• 90% range when he was born, huh? If it was over 100, then I'd be a freaked. My son was 6-14 when he was born and now at 2 months hes 11-13, and heavier when he's actually full (they weighed him when he was just woke up and hungry). Your son is fine, sounds pretty normal to me! I've seen 5 month old babies weighing 20lbs or more so consider yourself lucky, LOL.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2009