Question about my son's circumcision

My son is 4 and 1/2 months old and when he went to the doctor at his 4 month check up and shots she check his circumcision (which has completely healed within 10 days of birth). She said that the skin was growing back together and she needed to pull it apart before it got any worse and he would have to see a specialist. I freaked! But let her go ahead and do it. It was painful for him and it only took a second. She said I have to clean it once a day and put vaseline on the area so it doesn't grow back together. Has anybody had this happen? I wonder why if it was possible for the skin to grow together why didn't she tell me to check it and move that skin around to prevent it!! Now my poor baby had to have it done and I'm afraid his thingy will look bad when he is older! Plus, I ask how long should I do that and she said everyday! I think I might change doctors.

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He won't grow up deformed. And the doctor is right. I'm surprised the hospital didn't send you home with a care sheet explaining what to expect.
    Just gently wipe the tip where the skin starts to fold once a day during a diaper change. He will outgrow the need for this eventually.
    Anonymous

• If you didn't know how to care for your son's cirumcized penis, why is that the doctors fault? You should know how to care for it... don't you ever clean it with his diaper changes? Why change doctors she fixed it and told you how to prevent it now... she can't help you didn't do it.
    Anonymous

• Excuse you. But I do clean my son when I change his diapers and it still happened. His circumcision healed very well.  Nobody told us that it was a possibility it could grown back together after it was completely healed. This is my first child and I read all the paper work that was given to me and listened to all of the doctor's instructions.  I just don't want my son to go through any unnecessary pain.  But when I don't get solid answers to my questions from the doctor or if she just shrugs her shoulders then I have every right to change doctors.  You could be a little bit nicer or not answer at all if you're going to be that way. 

I thought this was a place where you could ask questions and get a friendly response.

crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• dont worry bout that person... u let the doctor fit it... its possible .. was the doctor u just saw the same that did the circumcision in the hospital? mine isnt i see a group that came to the hospital now he has a doctor he sees..

i love people that judge people and they dont know the whole situation and then dont sign their name..
    1sttymmom409

Answer by 1sttymmom409 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• it happened to my son's not once but TWICE.She didn't tell me why it happened, just pulled back the skin and told me to put A&D on it every diaper change. The second time it got stuck I pulled it back myself. He's 7 months now and I still use A&D every time out of habit. So it's nothing you did wrong at all, and I wouldn't worry about finding a new doctor...good luck :)
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thank you ladies for the helpful advice. As a first time Mom I worry about EVERYTHING! It just seems like a big deal and yet I have never heard of that happening. The pediatrician he sees is not the one that did it in the hospital. She was wonderful and I liked her a lot, but she didn't have an office, she rotated hospitals.

Thank you again!!!! I feel so much better!
    XOXO
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is two months old, and ever since his circumcision was fully healed, I've been making sure the skin is pulled back to where it's supposed to be every single time he gets a diaper change. After about six weeks of doing so, it's a habit of mine and I do it every time without thinking. You'll probably do the same. Don't fret, mama. Both of you will survive!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009