Is this early development for a child?

I am so jealous, my friends 18 month old can count to 10 in the correct order, knows her basic shapes and some colors. I was happy thinking my 15 month old was smart because she can point to all the pictures in a book and name off some of the pictures on her flashcards, but counting...colors...? No way. What is average and what is above average in abilities at a given age. Also, what impressive things does your toddler do and how did they learn it?

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 6:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a difference between memorizing some things and actually visually knowing the numbers or what not. If a child knows their abc's close to this age its because the parent's are singing it to them and they are memorizing it. If you put a particular letter in front of them would they actually know what it is is the question. Its all about memorizing and not actually knowing. Lil J just turned 3 and he was counting to 20 since he was 2, he also knows his colors real well and so on and so on. He also has a big sister who loves to play teacher with him so I give her half the credit. He also knows every doggone rap song that comes on the radio and I owe that all to his father {rolls eyes}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Your child sounds like she is very smart herself, just cause somene else's kid knows more, doesn't mean much, plus he's 3 months older than your kd and who knows what yours will be doing at that age!

I consider my 2 year old to be extremely intelligent, and she is 2 and just know can count to 10 and knows her shapes and some colors, and I think that's pretty good.

Also, is her kd in daycare? A lot of daycare kids are exposed to shapes, letters, numbers all say long, lol.

Don't sweat it, your child seems like she is doing wonderfully, and even above average if she can point out and say stuff in books, good job!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is almost 18 months and he doesn't know shapes, colors, count, etc. He knows some body parts, some sign language and some words but that is about it.
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 7:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Alot of what children know by any age has to do with what the parents are teaching them. If you have a good talker then it would be easy to teach them to rattle off the ABC's and numbers. If your child dosent talk all that much it would be easier to teach them how to point at this or that or go get this or that and so on. My daughter is 17 months and dosent know any shapes or colors...were still working on it! She dosent talk yet, but can shake her head yes or no and can answer Y/N questions easy. She can also follow my verbal directions such as "pick up your toys" "Lets go take a bath" "Lets eat lunch" "Put that back" and soooooo much more. She knows who her "friends" are, like if I ask her where Pablo is the finds one of her Backyardigan toys and shows me Pablo and lots and lots of other stuff too. Your daughter is very smart and doing GREAT, so is your friends kid, I wouldnt worry one bit. :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009