What is the earliest age a childs IQ can be measured?

I have asked this question before, noone had an answer. To clarify, I am not thinking that my child is a genius at the age of 10 months nor do I want to test his IQ. I am just asking a question because I was cuious of the answer.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• A true IQ test requires a child to have good language skills, and sit in a room answering test questions for 2-3 hours. Now there are different variations of a true IQ test that they use on school children when testing for different disabilities, like learning delays or mental retardation. But a true IQ test is rarely given to young children. This is why you'll hear experts say we believe their IQ to be normal, or above average, or below average, and never a number, because they didn't truly test IQ, just what the child can do compared to their "typical" peers.
    Hope this helped and didn't confuse you more!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I know they test school age children as young as five. I don't know if they can test younger children, but until the child has developed complex language skills I wouldn't think any testing would be very accurate.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• IQ tests before the age of 8 are meaningless. It is recommended that they be given after the age of 12--unless testing for gifted programs or developmental delays.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son just turned 7, and he was given his first IQ score after a neurodevelopmental eval. (he has very limited language, so the test was mostly visual.) We were told that he has an IQ of 53. (moderate to severe mental retardation)... But I honestly don't think it's very accurate. Unfortunately, I think that number is very optimistic after reading about what a person with a 53IQ would be capable of...

So, I know that a seven year old with severe disabilities can, in theory, be given an IQ test. Hope that helps! :)
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thak you to everone above for answering as you did. When I last asked this question, I was bombarded with snippy answers like "Oh, so you think your baby is a genius at 10 months old"
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Chicago schools no longer test IQ. I can't imagine why anyone would care what this number is.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2009