2 yearl old with 103.6 fever

I gave him tylenol and it seems to be going down. He's sleepy, won't eat and has a runny nose. What else can I do for him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both my children (5 & 8) have been running fevers around 103.5 as the average. Tylenol did squat to bring it down...here's what the doctor told me...
    1) Use Ibuprofen and alternate it with tylenol
    2) keep them hydrated...if she isn't "wetting" every 4 hours go to er...could be dehydration
    3) Use a LUKEWARM washcloth on the forehead or to blot them...cold will cause them to shiver and actually raise the temp
    4) Take in next day for throat culture...there are 2 things going around right now...strep and a nasty virus w/ high fever,stomachache, sore throat and head ache.
    Last 2 days have been horrible, but fevers are down to 102 when meds wear off...so we're progressing.
    BEST OF LUCK WITH THE LITTLE ONE!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• That is very high. I would keep checking and call pediatrician.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• With a fever that high, children's liquid ibuprofen. Also, liquids.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Put a cool washcloth on him to keep him comfy. But other than that, there's nothing you can do. Let him sleep and keep fluids in him. Alternate motrin and tylenol to keep his fever.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• alternate tylenol and motrin and if it doesn't go down farther, you may want to call the doc just to see. Just push fluids...i always keep gatorade on hand
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with Jademom07. Keep alternating with tylenol and motrin. Give him milkshakes, ice chips, water, juice, etc. Also try holding him in a cool shower. Not cold, but cool.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If he isnt hungry don't force it. My ped says dont feed him unless you want to clean up vomit. Just try to keep liquids going. Even if it is a teaspoon at a time, every 5 minutes. 102 and under is best to strive for, for a fever. The nurses tell me it can actually be good, helps body fight infection. So if you can get fever to under 102 it is good. Just keep them hydrated.
    mommamolly194

Answer by mommamolly194 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009