What can I do to get my 6 year old to listen?

I have tried everything to get my daugter to behave and nothing seems to work. She thinks that everything is a debate and tries to negotiate her punishment. I'm at a loss for a punishment that will actually instill the idea that she can't keep up the way that she is acting. Not to mention we don't have problems with her at school. We have never had a complaint.

busybemomma

Asked by busybemomma at 7:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get tough. Take away her play time, tv time, video game time, and anything she enjoys if she doesn't listen. Ask her no more than 1 time to do something and if she doesn't listen then get her and make her do what your asking and then once it is done put her in her room. Make sure she has no fun things in her room to play with. Make her realize your the parent. If you go shopping leave her with someone if she hasn't been listening. Only reward her when she does what is asked the first time. Don't debate, let her know your the mom and that is final.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• How about have her set her own punishment? Some times they are harder on them selves than parents can be. Let her know that she is going to be punished but she has to decide on the punishment? and she has to stick with it. If she is to easy on her self then you can embellish it or help it along.See if that works. If she doesn't obey you then just send her to her room and close her door and let her act out for her self, til she decides to behave. Keep putting her in her room til she gets the idea that you are not amused and you wont put up with that behavior. My youngest son used to get on his knees and beg for a spanking to get it over with, it just about killed him(not literally) to have to go to time out in his room.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I guess I should have probably added that it's not for a lack of trying on my part that my daughter acts this way. I was blessed with a child that doesn't care what you do. We tried letting her set her own punishments but it just didn't seem to work. She is someone that if you say if you do that then I'm going to take away your toys her response is that's fine I just won't have as much to clean up! She can act great when she wants to. I know that some of this is stemming from the new baby and she feels left out. Though when she get's to do extra things like go to a friends house it doesn't seem to affect the way that she acts. I have recently taken everything out of her room and she thought it was great until she realized that she had to stay in there. She was upset about it last night but has decided this morning it's not so bad. Ugh, I sure hope I didn't do this to my parents!
    busybemomma

Answer by busybemomma at 10:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• At 6 it is her job to push the envelop. It is your job to set the boundries. Tell her punishment is non negotiable and if she tries, it doubles her time. Hit her where it hurts, phone, games, ipod...what ever she is into at this time. No if's and's or but's. Say what you mean and mean what you say. She may scream and stomp at first but if you stick to your guns she will get it. Better to do this at 6 than try at 16 because it will be waaaaay harder then believe me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• tell her you are the parent and she is the child YOU set the rules SHE follows them. if she does not then she gets punished. If she fights you then she should get more punishment. be consistent and follow thru never make an empty threat

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009