is it normal for kittens to bit?

I have a 9 week old kitty and he is trying to play and bit is this normal .. I dont want him bitting my kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Hoyl crap brailynsmama,,, Thats animal cruelty! That is not how you train your kitten to stop biting. Wow. I cant believe someone actually had the nerve to post that and leave their name open about it. Flick him in the nose? Spray him in the face? Wtf? Would you do that to your child? Incredible.

As for the training, you could try buying some bitter spray and spraying your hands down with it so when kitty goes to bite she wont like the taste. You can also try making loud noises to sort of scare her off when she bites. I also suggest buying toys for her to play with instead of using your hand because it is very hard to grow them out of their kitty habits when they get older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes its normal. It is an animal after all. Either use a water bottle to squirt it in the face to avoid it or lightly flick the cats nose and mouth.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We had a kitten that bit and scratched my ds and he actually got cat scratch fever which caused a large lymph node on his neck. I was told by M.D. that I must always keep an eye on it in case it becomes enlarged, a 2nd M.D. said it could become cancerous. This is a true story and I will never have another cat.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You NEVER want to use your hand to play with a kitten. Always use a cat toy on a string. You don't want to train the cat that a hand is something to bite, which it will do if you play rough with it by hand....tickling, etc.
    Also, kicking with it's back feet when turned on it's back if "attacked" by a hand is instinct and isn't a good way to play with a cat.
    If you're concerned about scratching, you can get the kitten declawed. It should never be let outside if you do this because it won't be able to defend itself. (Some people consider declawing cruelty. Ask your vet about it for more information to make a choice.)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Kittens bite and scratch all the time. They stop playing like that when they are around 6 months or so. I've never had a kitten who didn't bite and scratch in the beginning. As far as you being worried about the kitty biting and scratching your kids, just remind them that it happens and use a squirt gun or spray bottle whenever kitty bites. Also having two cats eliminates the kitty biting humans, they just bite each other.

danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009