To moms with female toddlers

At what age is it no longer appropriate to pay special attention to cleaning the genital area...ya know...getting in there and cleaning. I'm not just talking about a quick wipe on the surface. She is 16 months old. I especially need to clean in the morning after I have applied Desitin the night before and it mixes with urine and gets trapped. I've always been real good about keeping her clean and dry. She has never had a diaper rash.

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 7:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea! mines 19 mos and I STILL get in there.... sometimes she does it for me tho :) I give her a wipe and she gets to diggin... but otherwise, I figured until they were in regular underwear!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would say when she learns to wipe properly on her own. Before that, you are going to need to help keep her clean to avoid rashes/irritation/UTIs (a common cause of UTIs is wiping feces up around the urethra- lets bacteria into the bladder and is no fun at all to have!) I dont' think there is anything 'sexual' about proper wiping for a child too young to potty train or to wipe properly herself.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months and I plan on cleaning her that well untill she can do it herself. If you dont do it, who will?
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009