My husband has given us the go to have a second child. We have a 16 month old now. When does sleep come into this equation?

I stay home with my 16 month old and will continue to stay home with the next one. If I am up, let's say, every 2 hours feeding the newborn, and then up for the day at 7am with the toddler who at that time will probably no longer be taking naps, when will I sleep...aaaaaahhhhhhh. What did you do?

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 7:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my MIL says "once you have kids, you will never sleep again" so I guess never? Idk just yet, but once I get there it's gunna be tough! GL and hope you get some sleep!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You think you have it bad. I have a 9yr old, 3yr old, a 7 month old and a baby on the way! I will never sleep again! for real!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah, I never sleep. I have a 1 1/2 yr. old, a 2 1/2 yr. old and a baby on the way. I always joke that I can't wait for the day when I can take tylenol pm again so I can sleep soundly and not worry about hearing anyone during the night. This is also the reason why dh and I have started to go away for 2 nights for our anniversary, to get really rested at some point during the year! lol I will say though that my boys do nap at the same time so I do take a quick nap then. When my oldest decides to stop with naps there will still be a quiet time for at least 45 minutes so I can regain some sanity for the rest of the day!
    Anonymous

• my son is 2 and i am due in august and he still takes a nap, and if your child is calm like my son, if you have another lil one, who maybe taking a nap, you can always put your todler in bed with you and lay down for awhile...and my son never got up every 2 hours...so sry bout your luck there
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• What did I do, survived? People have been having one child after another for years, my first three are a year apart so at one point I was potty training my first born, teaching my second born to walk, while dealing with my third that was an infant at the time.

If you were able to survive child number one, then two shouldn't be a problem. It's really number three that gets rough as each child steals a bit of your energy and I as well as many I've talked to have felt the most taken after the third. My third child wasn't a hard to deal with baby, but my body did slow down in a way that I didn't feel with my first, second, or even my fourth child and I have never regained that energy lost. Not that I regret having more, but I do often advise other women that it could happen to them since I've met others it's happened to.

As for sleeping, that is kind of shot once you have one child, a mother is often awake in her deep sleep.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Mine are 15 months apart, and my toddler is an early riser. But having a newborn is having a newborn -- you're sleep deprived no matter what. The only difference is you can't just lay in bed every time baby sleeps (which everyone on here will be quick to suggest!!!) if you have a toddler to run after. Just tell yourself you'll sleep when you're old; that's what I do. But seriously, in the early days, during my toddler's nap (often only 90 minutes long), I would lie down with the newborn and nurse/doze... it helped. Then eventually they start sleeping a little longer at night... it gets better. But it's exhausting. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Be sure to keep up that nap. Most preschools make the kids take rest breaks where they lay down. And most of the kids actually SLEEP in those breaks. Even if yours refuses to sleep, start enforcing that afternoon quiet time where he must lay on his bed until a light comes on, a CD ends, a timer goes off - whatever signal you want.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i waited 5 years to have my second didnt want to have to buy double diapers and i need sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more power to u! goodluck with the no sleep thing!
    KeLiStA

Answer by KeLiStA at 8:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009