Why is the government more willing to help people that are not married?

What I mean is that when a married couple apply for assistance that they get turned down even if they only make 27,000 a year and are a family of 4. I think that this is crazy. I am not trying to bash any one. I just want things to be right and so married couple get assistance too. Because i know people that have assistance that are not married and wont get married because they will lose there help. Why is our system so flawed. I know that we have a hard time to make ends meet but if i was to go back to work i would only be paying that money to child care.

MommyTessier

Asked by MommyTessier at 8:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• good question. Dh and are thinking of divorce so me and ds can get health insurance.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• hmmm. I am married and never had a problem with getting help because of it. It might depend on what state you live in. How many are in the family and how much the bills they take into account are.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• That sadly has been the deciding factor of why we haven't gotten married. My son and I would have no medical coverage, or pay over half my finance's check to cover us and still have co-pays. We are just barely making it by as is without being on every other type of PA and have no frills (the internet doesn't count since my fiance needs it for his work in the IT field).
    Anonymous

• in Nebraska you have to make 6.00 or less it seems. We are expecting our second child and we will not receive help because they said my husband made to much. We rent have car payments, Car ins. Past due medical bills. And we can only afford $70 for food every two weeks. I have a budget and we stick to that tight. I think that they are more willing to help single people out then later on when it tares the family apart then they will help
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 8:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• it has nothing to do with marital status but your income. it seems to be with both your incomes combined your making to much for their standard or if only one is working it's still to much. my husband and i get assistance and sadly which means we are really poor at the moment. i know someone that has 6 kids and makes like 5 k a month and he gets assistance which i think is bull but if the state says they fall in the poverty bracket for their home size then what can i do. you could have another child and that would probably put your family into the bracket. some people sadly do this. the system is so flawed. maybe get hrs cut at work enough to qualify. y ou'd get a hell lot more then a few hundred dollars makes. if you divorce then your frauding the state cause you can't have him living with you so you can join the others who abuse the system as i have mentioned. unless your above that. i find being honest is best. karma sucks.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• does learning to live within your means mean anything?
    Anonymous

Yeah, cause nobody's been laid off in years. In fact, our unemployment is at its lowest numbers ever!!!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Notpanicking: are you serious?
    The unemployment rate is in the double digits and hasn't been this high in about 20 years. There are over 600,000 people on unemployment in the country. I live in a city in Wisconsin and our unemployment rate is over 11% and will be worse once the Chrysler plant closes for good. I don't know where you live but you are soooo wrong. With Chrysler and GM filing bankruptcy, there will be even more unemployed people. In my city, that will be almost 1000 more people looking for nonexistent jobs.

The PA limits are by HOUSEHOLD income and family size. Don't assume you don't qualify just apply and you would be surprised.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Answered at 6:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 by: NotPanicking does learning to live within your means mean anything?

tyfry7496, NotPanicking was being sarcastic, guess you didn't get it....

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My SO and I are not married because of student loan reasons. For some reason we get more as single parents, so we are waiting for when we get our degrees. It makes me sad, but that is money we need in order to get through school.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2009