Medical card for my baby?

I'm a very young soon-to-be mommy. I'm 18. I'm in high school, going into my senior year. I know I made a mistake but I will love my little girl and provide the best for her always. I have stepped up a lot and I'm assuming full responsibility for her. I work 40 hours a weeks as a supervisor at a restaurant and I CAN apply for insurance there and that's what I planned to do. I planned to work my butt off and get insurance for my baby through the company with money drawn from my checks each week. My parents don't want me to do that. They think I should get a medical card. They say it will be way to hard to keep working 40 hours a week, go to school and take care of a baby. They keep telling me that it's okay to get a medical card for my daughter. (I'm on my parents insurance) I just feel bad. I never thought I'd have to do something like that. What should I do? Is it so bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh, sweetie...please listen to ur parents on this one! Its VERY hard 2 go 2 school, work & take care of a baby. Not sayin dnt keep the job, just that 40 hrs, school & new baby r gonna be rough on u! U have the right mindset as far as taking care of ur baby, but it never hurts to have a lil help. Cuz the first thing u have to do is take care of u & finish school. I was 19 when I got pg w/my 1st, a sophomore in college. I am now 32, & still have no degree...it doesn't get any easier, but I have faith that u will finish...u seem strong willed. Take care!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• not bad at all. Your child will be fully covered by your state with no copays or anything at all. If you cannot afford healthcare through your job or cannot get it right away, why not let the state pay for it. I was on Healthchoice through my state while prego an my son was automatically covered when I gave birth. And he will be covered until he's 16 or 18( not sure which)
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You should go to your DHS office and see if you and/or the baby qualify. I can't tell you that you'll be able to continue working 40hrs a week while in school, but i will say with having a baby and going to school, that will be hard. Are you parents going to be your baby sitter while you're going to school and working? I did work 40+ a week while in my senior year, and it was hard, and i didn't have a baby to keep me up at night. I just don't know dear. If you are really thinking this is what you're going to do, maybe you can carry insurance and get a medical card. You just have to check into all of your options. And this also raises the question of the father... will you be getting child support of help from the father? Can he help provide insurance and support as well?
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• im 26 years old have 1 full time job and 1 part time job there isnt any shame in that.. it will help tremously.... i applied when i wass prego and they signed me up which meant i didnt have to pay my regular insurance so pay.. saved soo much money do and see if u can.. thats whats it there for
    Anonymous

• You are trying to bite off more than you can chew. Take it one step at a time you might consider getting a medical card for your baby. You're going to be tired after giving birth, don't worry so much you are not a super person. You will need time to bond with your child if you plan on being a good mother. Take it one day at a time. Don't worry so much.It will be ok.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You seem like you are going to be an AMAZING Mother. Good for you! I would try and get your baby insurance through the state if you can. It will help so much. Public assistance is there if you need it but don't depend on it forever like some people. I think they sometimes help pay for daycare if you continue to work. Apply for it now so it will be effective after you deliver. Get all the help you can. Good luck but you sound like you'll be just fine!!!
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009