Who else uses the Abeka Preschool Curriculum?

I have a 2.5 year old son. We've been using the Abeka Nusery Curriculum for a few months now. I haven't been very consistent with it, unfortunately. I think that's one of the problems. However, I was curious if any other Moms use this and if so, would you want to chat about how your children learned from it? I'm not exactly sure if my expectations for my son's education are too high or not. And I would love some feedback. So, how long did it take for your child to learn alphabet recognition? How long did it take for your child to learn numbers 1-10 recognition and be able to count up to 10 objects. You know, in Abeka, they have worksheets that have a number on it and then how ever many objects they are expected to count.

Desperate4God

Asked by Desperate4God at 8:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't. My daughter is very active and I'd have to force her to sit and do a workbook page - which would ruin the fun of learning for her.
    But even without workbooks and flashcards, she could recognize all of her letters (upper and lowercase) by 2.5, knew all of her colors, shapes, could count to 10 - not just repeat the string of numbers but actually count out 4 things and hand them to me. Now at now quite 3 she knows all of her letter sounds and is starting to try to sound out words.

When will your son learn these things? There's no way to tell. Truly, every preschooler is different. Some like learning these odd things we try to teach them, some don't care. It doesn't make one smarter than the other. It doesn't mean one will do better in school than the other. By the time they start kindergarten, the differences start to even out.

Keep it fun, make up silly games. That works better for us than learning drills.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would also love some feedback on preschool curriculum. We're considering Heart of Dakota. OP, if you hear from anyone who actually uses them, let me know. I'm looking into review sites, too.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We are using http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html . Mainly we did the numbers but she already knew the animals, shapes, and colors. Next we are working on the alphabet.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think expecting a child to do worksheets at 2 is developmentally inappropiate for most kids. The way you teach and they learn is in an active way by playing etc. IF your child is receptive to coloring, worksheets etc they can be a SUPPLEMENTAL but not the main way. Worksheets are abstract you really should be working on concrete. counting is easy -- count cookies, peas, pushes on a swing etc. also teach concepts less/more under/over above/below/next to etc,.
    I would do whole word recognition Like names, stop, etc. just general signs in the community.
    ABC's -- letter recognition is not as imp. as sound knowledge. BUT ONE STEP AT A TIME. First, out loud counting, counting objects, one-to-one correspondence and only MUCH LATER -- number recognition.
    Teaching is an ALL DAY thing. Its incidental. Even when watching a program, why did he do that? What do you think will happen next???diff levels is more imp than rote
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I know how to teach my son. I know how to get him to count objects. I know how to teach him things about life and things. I know how to read to him. I know how to show him new things. I do not agree with word recognition because they don't learn phonetics that way. My son already knows letters A-G and he knows there sounds and can count to 30 and count up to 8 objects. He can recognize numbers 1-10. Obviously, it doesn't matter what age they are and children can learn the supposed age inappropriate things as long as they are willing. My question wasn't: "How do I teach these things to my son? Why can't he get it?" My question was how long did it take other children who used the Abeka preschool to learn these things. Obviously, it isn't that bad of an idea for children to use worksheets since there are tons of 2 year old worksheets and curriculum out there.
    Desperate4God

Answer by Desperate4God at 6:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• DON'T GET DISCOURAGED. HE IS LEARNING. ABEKA IS A WONDERFUL CURRICULUM MY DAUGHTER HAD IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH FIFTH GRADE. BUT HIM UNDERSTANDING WILL COME IN HIS OWN TIME. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING, HE WILL GET IT.
    selsamsav

Answer by selsamsav at 12:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2009