Can you spoil a premie??

My daughter was 7 weeks early. She is now 10 weeks old. She cries often so I hold her a lot. Her father says I spoil her and that's why she cries so much. I say you can't spoil a premie.

Luvmy1

Asked by Luvmy1 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You cannot spoil an infant.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Babies that young don't understand the cause and effect of crying.
    They don't know how to manipulate like that. I say hold her as often as you want. She needs to learn to trust that when she cries you'll be there.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You can't "spoil" any child around that age. getting into the 1 and 2 year mark, then you can potentially spoil them.
    Anonymous

• my baby was 8 weeks early. same thing happened to me.. i'd hold her alot and fiance would say that i was spoiling her. I agree with others on here. you can't spoil an infant. my daughter is now 14 months old and she is very dependant and not spoiled. These are the times where she needs that comfort and security...
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My daughter was 8 weeks early and I held her alot too. Here's my reasoning and my hubby never argued...
    1st off I had to leave my "lil miracle" in the hospital for weeks on end...I visited her everyday, but its not the same as having her with me 2/7 so I felt we needed extra bonding
    2nd- "technically" she is only 3 weeks old so she needs just as much attention as a newborn
    and finally...I'm grateful she is here with us...I thank God for every moment so why not cherish every chance I get to soothe her.
    Just what worked for me...hope it helps!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You can't spoil any kind of baby... take care of her the way you know is best, and ignore everyone else. She needs to be held all the time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• you can't spoil babies period! people who say that are stupid. crying is the only way a baby can communicate with you. babies need your love and to be comforted by you. she's crying because she NEEDS something or is uncomfortable. she was in a very tight space for 9 months and now there is a huge open space all around her, think about how scary that must be.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• NO NO you can not spoil babies! Whoever tells you that is a moron. If your spoiling her with anything it is love and thats NOT a bad thing!
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You cannot spoil a baby! She will be more confident and more independent when she gets older because you are holding her so much. The more babies are held in the first 6 months, the less they cry in the second 6 months.
    In cultures where they "wear" their babies and nurse very frequently (a few times an hour) the babies cry very little, and colic is virtually unheard of. Hold her 24/7 if you want to, and before you know it she will be pushing you away!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Think of it this way: if she had been born on time, she would have been carried by you 100% of the time up until the last 3 or so weeks. What is it exactly that he is getting annoyed about? Are you complaining at all to him about holding her? I'd say never complain, only talk about how much you love comforting her. Also tell him to just let you figure out how to be a mother.
    squish

Answer by squish at 11:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009