Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone's little one ingested ajax dish soap?

my dumb dumb husband put in under the counter and my 13 month old got a hold of it,by the time I got to her she had it al over her shirt and all in her mouth, she was gagging on it. I called the poison control center and they said she'd be fine but have stomach problems which she has already threw up one time and it was the texture of soap. I'm just worried cause she feel asleep sitting up and i had to hold her up tp wake her, it happened around 30 mins ago.

Answer Question
 
kenedygrace06

Asked by kenedygrace06 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • why didn't you take her to the doctor or hospital?!
    mandielynn23

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • Poison control is really the experts... if they think she will be fine she probably will be. When a child is brought to the ER, you know who they call? Poison control! So I would just keep an eye on her and if she seems ok then I wouldn't worry.
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 9:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • She should be fine. She may have a tummy ache for a day or two. Don't bother with the ER, they will call Poision Control anyway. It may help to have her drink lots of water or even milk to help flush the soap out.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • She should be fine. When my dd was 2 I was loading the dishwasher and had put the liquid soap in, stupid me didn't close the little door while I was putting the bottle away. She stuck her fingers in it and ate it. I called poison control and they said she may throw up a bit but she would be fine. She never did get sick and she was just fine. I agree that poison control knows what they are talking about. If he shows any other symptoms I would definately take her in.
    sadira29

    Answer by sadira29 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Poison Control is whom the Er rely on for their answers to non edible ingested substances and other things if they say your baby will be fine she should be,

    I have had to have poison controls help twice in 3 years... My youngest loves to experiment... He once ate an entire tube of neosporin.(triple antibiotic ointment) and they told me he'd be fine it would just "oil up his system " and possibly make things work a lil quicker than usual to watch ofr dehydration but otherwise he'd be fine (he had 0 problems) the second time the pharmacy left a NON childproof cap on his Singulair and I didn't know yet cause I had just walked in and was unloading the bags out of our van (he'd never gotten into pharmacy bags before) and he ate 21 of the tablets.. Scared the hell out of me cause it was after dr office hours I called poison control and they took a few minutes checked their system and said he'd be fine... (cont )
    Tygermommanikki

    Answer by Tygermommanikki at 10:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Well i was still scared and unsure (he wasn't acting strangely) but I was still scared out of my mind nothing like this had ever happened before so I called the answering service and had his pedi paged . He told me to take him to the er 45 minutes away (he wouldn't come to the one in my town) and never showed up at the one he requested us to take him to either) that annoyed me, The ER called poison control and said well some kids can have seizures and brain bleeding so I was petrified by then... they came back an two and a half hours later and said oh im sorry we told them the wrong medicine and they said he will be fine and we looked in out own computers and Singulair can be given in Mega or extreme doses in the situation of overdoses of other medications so your so will be fine you can take him home now. (he'd had 84 mg total of Singulair) (normal daily dose was just 4mg) Poison Control knew more than the ER???!!!
    Tygermommanikki

    Answer by Tygermommanikki at 10:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Are you absolutely certain that she didn't injest anything else under the counter before you saw her with the soap???? If you are sure that nothing else could have been ingested and poison control said it is fine then I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember that soap can cause the poops so if she gets a case of diarea that is probably what it is. Take care....and lock those cupboards...lol
    londonmommyof2

    Answer by londonmommyof2 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.