community pools

I live in condos with a pool. Is it too much to expect kids to not squirt you in the face with huge water guns? How about throwing a football across the entire pool, is that acceptable? My kids swim or dive for toys but, I do not let them splash or spray other people. If I say anything to their parents they just don't care. Am I just being a prude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Heck no your not! It is their responsibilty to keep their kids in line and keep them from any behavior that could result in injury to themselves or another person. That's good that you keep your kids from doing what the other ones are. I suggest a more firm and upset tone when you speak with them. Tell them you are worried about not only your own childrens safety but theirs as well and that them shooting water guns at other children's faces should not be permitted as it could hurt them.Explain that you are bringing your children out to the fun for fun, not to be sprayed over and over again in the face because too much chlorine in their face could possibly get in their eyes and hurt them.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 8:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No you're not. I would say something to them, then if they continue to be disrespectful you could take it to the apartment manager if it bothers you that much I am sure.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No, you're not being a prude! There are still some rules that all must follow and respectful guidelines that should be inforced in a comm pool. Acting like a maniac and causing others to feel uncomfortable in their "own" pool is not acceptable in my book.
    Anonymous

• Well, no, but dont expect to NOT get wet at all. I believe in being courteous to others and not having people spray me in the face or get hit with objects, but I dont get too pissy about being splashed. By pass the parents, just tell the children....DO NOT spray me in the face and please do not throw things over my head. If they are not toddlers, then just speak up to them. Dont go overboard about little things, but common courtesy should be taught. I usually just ask nicely first and then I give a firm reminder. Kids usually respond to me better than their own parents. Most of the time, they jsut say, Okay, we're sorry, and they move on. If its things like running and dangerous behavior, then I would say something to whomever is in charge...the manager or whomever.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I do ask the kids first, and some just turn around and shoot me five minutes later. I don't mind accidental splashing its when they do it on purpose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• what is the pool for but having water fun I don't want to sound mean but I hate the mothers that bring there kids to the pool and get mad when the kids are just having water fun, no I don't think they should dunk or anything that is dangerous but you are at the pool to have fun.

kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I grew up with a pool and I am sorry to say our rule has always been if you don't want to be splashed or get wet, don't go near the pool. Having said that, squirt guns are a whole different deal. I would NEVER allow my children to run amuck squirting others, it is just plain rude! Do you pay to belong to this pool? If you do, I would take it up with the person in charge. Maybe they can make a now squirt guns policy if this is what is going on.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No you are just asking for a little respect and common courtesy. Since you've already approched the parents maybe try the HOA or get a petition started about squirt guns and ball throwing and present it to your HOA. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

twilite2000

Answer by twilite2000 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• this is what happens some mothers don't mind getting squirted in the face so they think everyone shouldn't mind. Or they suntan the whole time and don't want to have to pay attention to their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009