My almost 12 month old has started getting a bad cough but ONLY at night

Any suggestions on how to stop her night coughing?? It has woke her up the last few nights and it's weird that it only happens at night and like first thing in the morning... I feel so bad for her cause it sounds like it hurts her throat. I think she is to young for cough meds so I can't think of what to do.

ChristinaDennis

Asked by ChristinaDennis at 8:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 8 m/o just got over a cough. We tried vicks, humidifier, and everything else I could think of. Then my sister saved my life by giving us an essential oil call breath. We put a few drops on her sheets, a few in the humidifier, and rubbed the bottoms of her feat with them and she slept all night with no coughing! I don't think I'll ever risk not having a bottle of it in my house anymore because it was a life saver!

Here is a link for one I found:

http://marketplace.hgtv.com/Product.aspx?Lid=2276-MS103814

But look around and you might be able to find one for less, or call a local health food store to see if they have it in stock. GL!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• a humidifier might work. it helps my kiddo. they have the same issue dr said it is allergies.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The Humidifier was my first thought as well but then I was reading online that it's not a good idea because of can harvest mold :(
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 9:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If it's persistent it could be asthma. If it doesn't go away in a few days I would check with the dr. Other than that you could try the humidifier or taker her in the bathroom with the door closed and run a hot shower. Humidifer is good for asthma, bad for allergies.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Has your child checked for allergies? I know when it is allergy season, I cough more at night time because the phelgm builds up in my throat while I lay down (gross, I know!) ... and usually claritin or some sort of allergy medication clears that up and keeps it at bay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2009