Is the religious use of marijuana legal in the states?

I know many things can slide by if they are religious practices... What about this one?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think there are some tribes of Native Americans that can use peoti in their religious ceremonies, but I think that is about it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah that was the last I knew about and I follow the law pretty closely on that because I use to smoke it for back pain.
    Anonymous

• It's not legal at all for religious reasons, only medical. I've heard of quite a few people in different parts of the country trying to claim it was religious but i've never heard of anyone getting away with the religious excuse.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Well, there ARE religions that use it as an established part of their religious cerimonies and/or practices. Many Native American paths and Rasti all do, I'm sure there are more too. If small animal sacrifice is legal for relgious reasons why isn't this?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes, it is legal for Rastifarians. This is the second time I've seen this question today..... I wonder why....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It is lllegal in CA unless you are using it for medicinal purposes. However, "The Governator" Arnold, has mentioned legalizing it completely here so we can tax it and make money for our state.

You know the schools are having to lay off so many teachers, and if the students would just pay taxes on their weed they would get a better education. (sarcasm).

I just don't think anyone will want to pay an extra 50 dollars per ounce when they can just keep buying it from my old neighbor. Who knows.

But in CA the smokers are still oppressed, LOL ; )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Well my CM friend ajquinn, i posted a question about rastafari religion earlier but mentioned nothing about MJ smokage.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009