I have no idea where to find this information..help please

I was thinking of renting a 1 bedroom apartment for me and my 4 year old. He sleeps in my bed anyway so I figured I could just save money for a while and just rent a 1 bedroom. I heard from a co-worker that it's the law that he has to have his own room. Does anyone know where I can find this information or know for a fact that it's true or not?

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow, people are rude. There is nothing wrong w/ your 4yr. old sleeping w/ you if that is what you both choose. In some states, you do need to have a seperate bedroom for children when you are renting. Maybe if its just the two of you (no husband or boyfriend) it wouldn't be a problem. If you buy, they don't the same rules so it seems like kind of a double standard to me.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Probably depends on your area. You should check with the Division of Family and Children or Child Protective Services or whatever they call it in your state. I have never heard that. How long do you want to let him sleep with you, though?
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with Indygirl. Not healthy for him to be sleeping with you at 4 years of age.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i've heard of it in certain states, but normally only if your getting goverment assistance. And i'm not sure how much goverment assistance it takes for them to come in and say how many rooms your have to have. But a friend of mine had a 2 bedroom apartment that was goverment housing and she had a daughter and a son who she was gonna put in the same room. They were both toddlers, but since they were not of the same sex they weren't allowed to share a room. She was told she would either have to get a bigger apartment of move the girl into her bedroom with her.So if i were you, i'd check with the department of human services.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh. My. GOD. It's totally fine to let your 4y/o sleep with you. Ug. Some people. I don't know about the legality aspect of the room thing though. Sorry.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 9:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Are you serious? A 4 year old? Time to cut the umbilical cord. Let's see what DCS says when he's 14 and still in there.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• thank you to the last post. Sarahmae3..I appreciate your comment...it's too bad everyone else decided not to answer the question...back off people...there's nothing wrong with him sleeping in my room..there is no husband or boyfriend and he gets scared so if he feels safer and comfy in my room with me then so be it...you people can be so harsh sometimes..almost makes me not want to be on this site because of how many rude people there are...geeze..
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009