clueless about new foods...

my son is 13 m/o. lately he's been eating a lot of yellow/orange foods (starchy foods like bananas, pasta, breads, sweet potatoes)...mostly because thats all he wants. he has been eating green beans lately and I introduced him to asparagus and he seems to like it as long as I add parmesan cheese, but i'm running out of ideas! and his poop for the past few weeks has been a yellow/light brown, isnt a healthy poop supposed to be a darker brown?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• truthfully and honestly it doesn't matter that much about the color of the poop, the oly reason I would start to worry wold be if the poop is hardened and hurts to push out, or the reverse and it's runny. But yeah if your son likes potatoes and bread then that's fine. There are several million people in the world who are vegetarians and live healthy. I would just make sure he takes a vitamin in the morning. Half a Flintstones is okay, it's what I give my son. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 9:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son always had orange poop from eating so much sweet potatoes and carrots. It's normal.

Have you tried carrots or avocado yet? My son loved both and they are very good for the little one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Try peas, you can even give them slightly frozen for teething. Also yogurt, cheese, shredded chicken and turkey, etc.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• At 13 months they can eat pretty much what you eat within reason...spicy foods and stuff of that nature will not do their little belly's much good. I learned from my first time around not to give to many treats, even though you want to treat them because then the healthy foods become no fun and it is a war. When my son starts solids, this time around treats are gonna be things like watermelon and cherries...healthy treats. As for poop color, I wouldn'y worry about it unless it is red and there is blood. Now blood ON the poop could mean fissures or hemroids and is usually accompanied by hard poops and constipation. Blood IN the poop can be more serious and both should be seen by a doctor. Other than red or white....most other colors are normal. Take care.
    londonmommyof2

Answer by londonmommyof2 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• avacado is a big hit with my 11 month old, grapes and cherries (peeled and halved), peaches, berries, he loves all of those. he pretty much eats what we eat. poop varies quite a bit, there's no specific poop guideline, so long as it's not bloody or white.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• substitute nutritional yeast for the parmesan. it has a cheesy flavor and is loaded with B vitamins.
    try frozen peas and frozen blueberries (which will turn his poops green!).

Answer by rkoloms at 12:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009