Is there anything I can do to increase my milk production??

My son can't breast feed, but I'm trying really hard to pump so he can still have breast milk. I don't seem to be making enough for him so I have to supplement with formula. Problem is, the formula upsets his stomach. So is there anything I can do to make more milk for him?

emmetsmom09

Asked by emmetsmom09 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• only thing I know to do is pump more often than you already are && drink plenty of fluids 6-8 glasses a day, sorry I can't be of more help
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• you HAVE to eat right, and enough..i had the same problem..plus i just couldnt keep up pumping!! kudos to the moms that breast feed, those babies eat non stop it seems!! i made it for like 6 weeks..then couldnt anymore, but the more you pump the more you produce...u can make more than u need then freeze/refridgerate the rest!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• eat eat eat!!!!! drink alot of water between 2-3 quarts a day is a good goal eat at least one warm meal per day that includes a sorurce or protein green salad grain such as millet or rice, cooked veggies
    avoid food that is hard to digest such as fried and fattie!
    take probiotic yogurt
    get heathy fay such as butter and oil oil;
    fennel-eaten raw or cooked
    carrots,beets or yams
    dark green leafy veggies
    raw nuts like almonds cashews and mecadamia nuts

garlic take only 1-2 cloves per day you can put it in you grains
    ginger is helpful for the letdown and milk flow
    try adding marjoram and basil to your meals and anise dill or caraway, and even black pepper

avena sativa(oats)

Nutritional and brewers yeast

green papaya
    sesame seeds- large black sesame seeds are used to increase milk across asia

spirulina is a non toxic variety of blue green algae

organic mo
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 9:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• organic mothers milk tea hold your baby skin to skin massage your breast while in the shower take warm showersor put warm moist washcloths on your breast think of you baby and all ways have a pic of him or her with you when u pump pump as much as you can aswell as the night time

one hour power pump\

1)massage your breast in a circular motions with you fingers skin to skin starting at the base working towards the nipples this should take about 1-2 mins

2)pump both breasts for 10 mins

3)sit and relax for 10mins

4)repeats  1-3 two more times!

enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 10:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i had problems with my milk also theres a lot of things but it doesnt hurt to try them all!

if you have more qu. just ask me i may help!
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 10:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• set your alarm and continually pump. I have a huge baby and was needing to pump... so I wouldn't want to starve him so I could build up stores. So best thing that you can do is just pump regularly (if he eats every 3 hours... pump every 1.5-2)... if you can.

Good luck :)
    laurenregister

Answer by laurenregister at 11:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The most important thing is to pump more frequently. What you eat, drink, or how much will have very little impact on how much you produce. It is all about milk removal! The more frequently and completely you remove the milk, the more you will make! Try a couple of days of Power Pumping

Skin to skin contact with yoru baby can increase milk supply even when you are not actually breastfeeding.  Try to spend some time each day with baby in only a diaper on your bare chest.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• PUMP A LOT! You have to pump every 1 1/2- 2 hrs and keep that going through the night. If you do it all day and then not at night it will not work.

Drink lots of fluids! Water, milk, no caffeine and no alcohol.

I heard of some organic tea before but I am not sure of the name.

I also took vitamin B. I thought I heard in a BFing class I took that it helped increase production.

And make sure you are eating enough and a well balanced diet. Follow the food paramid.

Good luck and relax! It is not the end of the world if you can't. I BF for six months and switched to formula. My kids wouldn't do either or. It was one or the other. They liked the BF best.

KGCMOM2006

Answer by KGCMOM2006 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• put a pix of your baby in your pump.
    kangaroo hold
    drinking water doesn't make a difference (go to la leche league and kellymom websites)
    drink and eat food with yeast (oatmeal, non-alcoholic beer)
    ALTHOUGH he's not into BF, LATCH HIM ON BEFORE YOU PUMP. My friends baby decided to latch on after 3 weeks but she rarely latched her and lost her supply.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2009