separated pelvis

I separated my pelvis during childbirth. I was pumped full a drug that prevented seizures which also happened to be a muscle relaxer. Then later, during my pushing stage, my legs were pushed so far apart that my pelvis got injured. The injury was excruciating and two weeks after our baby's birth, I'm still in pain and in need of a walker to get around. I am getting better everyday, however. Apparently this is extremely rare but I was wondering if any moms out there have experienced this and what were your circumstances?

winginit

Asked by winginit at 9:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Health

• This happened to my sister with her last baby. She had an epi and the baby's head was tilted to the side so it wouldn't mold to the birth canal. His head wouldn't come down so the dr attached the vacuum extractor and pulled him out. It caused her to pelvis to separate. She was in such a daze for the first six weeks of his life she doesn't really remember any of it. She had three other kids, so my mom and I switched off to help her. One of us stayed with her all the time unless her dh was home.
    This is the reason why I have/will never choose an epidural.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My pelivs popped out during my pg. I had to wear a special belt to keep it in place as well a physical therapy. Has your dr. suggested physical therapy? Just out of curiosity what was the drug. I had magnesium sulfate. They gave me a walking epi so I wouldn't over push. Once the baby dropped down I could feel the pain.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It was the magnesium sulfate that helps prevent seizures that the doctors insisted I take during labor and afterward. Pregnant women with high blood pressure usually get this drug. The drug is also a muscle relaxant and my attending nurse split my legs open so wide that my pelvis separated during labor. It's been 3 and half weeks and I can still barely walk. It's been a rough recovery but thankfully my extremely helpful husband has been home with me to help with everything. I can't wait to be healed so I could sleep on my side, or be able to take the stairs or just be normal again.... The doctor didn't recommend physical therapy, just some at home exercises... just forcing myself to move around is what helps me recover.
    winginit

Answer by winginit at 1:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I separated my pelvis DURING childbirth, from being in the buddha position for hours and hours while nurses wouldn't let me move or walk (they were trying to get my pelvis to open as my water had already broken). I literally could not walk at all for 2 months, even to get to the bathroom. I'm a single mom so I had to care for my baby from my bed (this included breastfeeding, changing, etc). When I was forced to move the pain was beyond excruciating. I have since seen 3 physical therapists and five doctors. All of them have treated me like this is in my head and I have been misdiagnosed like crazy and told I was out of shape during pregnancy (I walked five miles a day, swam and did pilates). My baby is 8 1/2 months and I'm still in physical therapy, my nerves are pinched down my legs and even turning my neck sends shooting pain down to my ankles. Advice: Immediate PT, crutches, and help with the baby for 2 months!!!
    carlacaragon

Answer by carlacaragon at 12:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2010