How do you deal with a lying child??

My 3 yr old, just out of the blue started lying one day and has not stopped.. It has gotten so bad that the other day at the baby sitters she old the baby sitter's boyfriend that a man tried to kidnap and choke her when she was out side playing with their 5yr old... As soon as she heard the story she called me we asked both the girls questions such as What color skin, facial hair, color of hair and eyes.... My Husband was home and I was telling him what was going on and he got really angry and started accusing the baby sitter's boyfriend (which I have know and trusted for over 10 yrs now) I know that he would never do anything to hurt a child in any way. I can not handle the lying any more, I have tried talking to her and telling her that lying can get people in BIG TROUBLE including herself.. I just don't know what to do, I have never been through this before as any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

misty718

Asked by misty718 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• That is part of being a 3 year old, they don't understand that they are lying, to them they are just telling stories. It does get better, in the mean time, talk to her about making sure she isn't telling stories because stories can get people into trouble and they will have to be punished. When she does lie, put her in a time out and talk to her about what she did wrong. NO spankings, no overreaction, she is doing something that is developmentally appropriate for her age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My kids tell fibs too, 3 and almost 5. I have to keep reminding them that they are lying and that nothing good will come from a lie. I will also ask them how they'd feel if I lied to them. I've told them that I bought them ice cream treats and they get excited. Then I tell them that I lied. I've come to realize that the most effective way of teaching them is if I can reverse it on them. Yes they were upset and it was not nice of me to lie but they've gotten the point. They still lie and are learning the difference. I have the ice cream lie to fall back on and remind them of.
    My son told my mom the other day that he went to the dr's and had 240 needles. My word, I was a story teller too!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• How does a 3 year know about choking and kidnapping?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My 3 yr old is a very smart kid!!! Not to mention she watches the news and she is learning about safety and "Stranger Danger" at the babysitter's.. So she knows A LOT..

I think that we are starting to get through to her because I told her that when she lies she has to sit in time out and she doesn't get to do fun things (like going to the zoo this weekend with her big cousin). And next week at the babysitters Lying will be the topic of the week and there will be roll playing involved so I think that would also help out tremendously..

Thanks for all the in put Ladies!! I really appreciate it!!

Hope you all have a great day!!!
    misty718

Answer by misty718 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009