How to use manors?

My son is almost 18 months old and every time he wants something he wines... after you give it to him he will say thank you, but how do i get him to say please... every time i try to get him so say it he just starts screaming and crying....How do i get him to say please when he wants something instead of whining?

AlecsMommy07

Asked by AlecsMommy07 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you don't give in. If he wants something you continually tell him over and over "you have to say please" and eventually after a few trial and errors with wanting something and not getting it. He'll catch on. Children are very intelligent and that is why they can easily manipulate. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 10:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't give it to him until he says please. Don't give in...unless of course it's food or some vital need. Check out some manners books for toddlers that you can read to him. Sit down and play tea party with him and practice manners. Make it fun and he will pick it up.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Gentle reminders. Also read books together which are written on his age level see http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  Click on manners

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You just have to keep telling him to say please and remember to use please yourself when asking him for something.
    My 19 month old uses please now....she has to be reminded 8 out of 10 times but she is the first to say 'please' when you ask her to hand you something.
    And she is more likely to respond when you ask her for something with please in the sentence.
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 10:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I might would focus more on the "how" he asks, and helping him to learn to use full sentences on his level and maturity. In other words, if he is wanting a drink and he whines and falls down silly on the floor (my 3rd one thot he'd try this method of asking, lol), you stop what you are doing and give him a real shocked look and say "Oh my, that's not how we ask mommy anything. You must ""Mom?, Could I please have a drink?"" and use your best fun voice, but also a firm one so that he understands you are training him. :) Go word by word if he's real young. If he trys to use the whiney voice again, which is just a habit is gotten into, say it just like you want him to ask, using the same voice.

Actually, its quite funny, b/c little ones will use the same cadence and lilt to the voice that you do. My 2nd child had to be trained how to ask and say everything. She was a real whiner. LOL But it worked and she learned well.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Don't give him anything if he whines. Flatly tell him to say "please". If he screams and cries, deal with that as you would any tantrum... which means he automatically does NOT get what he wants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009