i dont know what to do!!!!! my dog just died.

i've just found my golden retriever, Olly, dead. he's on the kitchen floor and he looks like hes sleeping but he's dead. we knew this was coming he's almost 14 (very old in dog years). What do i do know? where do i take him? nothing would be open at this hour would there? the vet? where do you take a dead dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pets

• We always buried our dogs in the backyard. I don't know what else to do. Sorry to hear about your doggie. Big Hugs.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm so sorry. Call your vet first thing in the morning and ask them. Until then I don't know where you would put him. Maybe in a room not used or basement? Lay him in his bed till you get in touch with the vet.

Anonymous

• well you don't take it anywhere. You go outside, get a shovel, and find an area you would like to bury him. That would be the easiest thing to do at this point if noting is open. Or else you will have a mess on your hands in the morning if you eave the body outside for the bugs. Sorry this was so blunt, just trying to help. & I'm sorry for your loss. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 10:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Also, before you bury him in your own yard make sure it's legal. In a lot of cities and towns it is illegal.

Anonymous

• Im so sorry for your lost, but the only thing to do is like everyone else said, bury him. If you don't have a back yard you can call the non emergency number for the police and have them contact the on call animal control so that they can pick up his body for you.
    danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm so sorry. We have a an old dog too. Every time I see him resting I run to see if he's breathing. If you own your house just put him in a bucket wrapped in a comforting blanket first before burying him and bury him tomorrow or call your vet and ask where their deceased dogs are cremated. Then you can have his ashes at home whether you rent or own. Cremation of an animal is very inexpensive, burial in a pet cemetery is as high almost as burying a human. I've done both. My first dog was buried in a pet cemetery and my next two animals were cremated.

Tonight call your vet if they have emergency services so they can tell you what you need for cremation if you do that. It's scary to think of but most animal crematoriums are very compassionate. Just place him in a comforting blanket in a storage bucket with a top and place it in the coldest place in your house til you decide. Hugs momma to your doggie and you.

Anonymous

• It is not the safest thing to just bury it, and maybe not legal. Something could dig it up also. Contact your vet, or a 24 vet hospital, or animal control. They have a way of disposing of the body. It is not that expensive. Sorry for your loss.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had a Golden Ret. as well around the same age, I had to have her put to sleep and to look into her eyes before I did was heart breaking, but I really think she knew it was going to be better for her. As a matter of fact sitting here talking about it makes me cry and it was about 3 yrs ago or so. I had her cremated and she sits on my mantel. It was very inexpensive, I am so sorry!!

determind

Answer by determind at 8:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• some vets can creamate pets for you. Not sure of the cost. We have a pet crematory in our town. We also have a Bubba buryied in our yard. The former owners buried their dog out there under the tree. They informed us just in case we wanted to change the landscape.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If you decided to bury your beloved pet in your backyard wrap him up in a blanket then put a platic garbage bag around him and tie it off. After you did the hole and put him in it then put some unused coffee grounds on him. That usually helps keep animals out (along with the garbage bag). If you decide to cremate then I would call the vet and see who they suggest.

I am sorry for your lose. It's never easy when a pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2009