How can I teach my 9 month old to sleep in her own bed? I want my bed back

My daughter has been sleeping with me since day one. How can I get her to sleep in her bed through out the whole night? She sleeps in it from 10pm to 2-3 am then she will not go back to sleep unless she sleeps next to me. Please help!

mommyofemily

Asked by mommyofemily at 10:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not much of a help; mine is 7 months and still in my bed :)

I think I am going to bring the swing upstairs into his room. If he is being rocked; and not by me... he goes back down. Can you try a swing?

Good luck! I am in the same boat~!
    laurenregister

Answer by laurenregister at 11:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I co-slept a lot with my first and less with my second but I still say THANKS to my doc (for my first child). I thought you could never spoil a baby for the first year so I always brought my baby in bed. But after six to seven months they are old enough to cry. And it is good for them too. A baby needs to learn how to put themselves to sleep and not depend on you. But I do understand his is hard for some to do. I let him cry and each night the crying got shorter and shorter. And believe it or not they tend to sleep longer cause the crying makes them tired. I still sleep here and there with both my kids and I enjoy it. But both kids sleep better in their own bed cause I have always kept it pretty consistent once I finally got it in me to put them into their own bed. I LOVE sleeping with the babies but you need your alone time too. And so does your hubby=)
    KGCMOM2006

Answer by KGCMOM2006 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh sorry it usually takes three days if you decide to go that route. The doc told me to do this and if it is hard for you not to get them just enter the room if you have too and rub them to reassure that they are not alone but never pick them up cause you will be teaching them that if they cry long enough you will take them out. Sorry that is a grammatical nightmare!
    KGCMOM2006

Answer by KGCMOM2006 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Hm, I don't really believe in crying it out...especially at 9 months. However if you do there is a certain way to go about it with out your child having to scream their lungs out. A better idea is you could try that book called The No Cry Sleeping Solutions (I think that's the name) I haven't read it but I heard it gives great advice that works well. Also have you tried letting her fall asleep next to you and then moving her into her crib, and then once she's more comfortable with her crib move her when she's ALMOST asleep. I think this would be a gentler transition compared to CIO.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2009