Pure Intimacy-- God's Design for Sex

Okay, I know that some of you are going to throw up at this, lol. But I just found this website and I am going to check it out. It is a ministry of Focus on the Family. I wanted to share it in case anyone wanted to check it out.

I haven't explored it yet, but it looks like it covers the issues of pornography, homosexuality, with information for married couples, singles, parents and ministry leaders. I have just noticed that people have been asking questions about what the Bible says about some of this stuff. So someone might want to go here. Disclaimer: focus on the family is a Conservative Christian ministry.

http://www.pureintimacy.org/godsdesign/

I will go explore it and you guys can tell me what you think too : ) nicely

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 10:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just checked out some of this website & I love it. I agree with what I've seen of it so far. And no... the Bible doesn't make any exceptions for homosexuality. God says it's an abomination Period. Can't get much clearer than that. Sex outside of monogamous marriage is a sin period. Again, can't get much clearer than that.

Anonymous

• "Modern contraceptive technologies were unknown in the Bible, and the contemporary "contraceptive mentality" that champions sexual pleasure completely severed from procreation is foreign to the biblical worldview." (http://www.pureintimacy.org/piArticles/A000000401.cfm)

I just have to say "YIKES" on that one. 1) my name is not Michelle Duggar, 2) I am a person, not a breeding machine, 3) it's is ok to enjoy sex and know that you have a 99.9% chance of NOT becoming pregnant, 4) when I was off BC, I was too paranoid about becoming pregnant to enjoy it, 5) as one of those weird women who has extremely irregular cycles and no signs of ovulation (confirmed by a doctor, my basal body temp does not rise, I have no change in discharge, etc)... ummm... BC is necessary to prevent pregnancy, 6) we are barely getting by with the 2 children we have, one more child will bankrupt us.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, still checking out the site. Only made it one page and I'm upset though... and I'm a conservative Christian!
    Anonymous

• Maybe I will delete this post???
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No, you shouldn't delete it. I was just saying that not all conservative Christians believe this either. I am extremely offended by some of the articles I have scanned. But it is always better to know the arguments of the other side than to simply ignore them. I disagree with much on the homosexuality pages, only because, through my own study and checking of the verses, there is a great deal that is glossed over on the site you listed. Simply stating "this is wrong, because it is wrong" is not much of an argument and that is much of what is mentioned. However, with a deep study of the Bible and study of the translation process and reverting back to the original Greek and Hebrew... there is a case to be made for loving, consensual, homosexual relationships. The translators were people, like you and I, who made mistakes and some may have even made mistakes on purpose to promote an agenda. Running out of room, sorry.
    Anonymous

• ok, anyway...

Another thing I do not like from some of the articles I have scanned is the "pompousness" though that is still not the word I am looking for. But they come across as saying, "this is what God intends! This is God's way!" Which, to me, places people in the position of knowing God's intentions and thoughts and desires. To presume to know what God thinks is a little self-righteous in my opinion. I would never presume to know all the thoughts of God.

Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
    The LORD is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
    He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
    Isaiah 40:28
    Anonymous

• You know I read that article you quoted, and if you keep reading it does not condemn contraception. I don't know. I might still delete this question.

I haven't completely checked out the site yet, and so far I haven't found anything offensive personally.

I know that not everyone will agree with it all, but that understandable.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• "his understanding no one can fathom."

Seems many of the articles on the site are doing just this. Substituting the beliefs of men for the desires of God. We cannot even begin to know all God has planned for us and his reasoning behind all he has done. So I will continue to love my gay brother and my lesbian mother and my gay niece. I will continue to believe that God loves us all and has made us all, as we are, for a reason. And I will not try and change that which God has created, wonderfully and perfected made (as they all are, as you are, and I am, as everyone is).

Anonymous

• I haven't checked out the web site but I do believe God created sex for our pleasure and not just for having babies, it is to help us stay bonded with our mate in a way that only those two share with each other, if it was only for the sake of procreation then what would we do after we reached the age passed child-bearing, stop having sex? I don't think so.... cuz the desire to have children ends but for sex it doesn't stop. (at least for me and hubby it hasn't!!)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree lisarose.

One part of the website says, "First, the biblical writers affirm the goodness of sexuality as God's gift. The Song of Solomon is an extended love poem with explicit erotic imagery and language. Sex is affirmed as a source of pleasure and shared intimacy between husband and wife. Sexual pleasure is not an accident of human biology--it is one of the Creator's sweetest gifts to human beings. The promise of sexual pleasure and satisfaction is to draw us into the marital covenant, and then shared joy of physical union is a vital part of the marital bond."

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009