breastfeeding question

just wondering if anyone ever got "lumps" in thier breasts while breastfeeding/pumping? what is it and how do you prevent them or make them go away?

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Perhaps a clogged milk duct. If you push on it or rub it does milk come out? Just lightly massage to help the milk release when you are nursing or pumping. It should go away within a few days or a week.
    Of course be aware of mastitis if you get a fever, or if it is a hard lump that doesn't go away ask your doctor.
    jacobsmommy0828

Answer by jacobsmommy0828 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have fairly large breasts, and I always noticed these lumps that you talked about but as soon as I would start nursing my little one I noticed that they went away. If they are bothersome (as in they HURTTT) then I would see your doctor, otherwise I would say it's just milk!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah! This is particularly common if you have an oversupply of milk. (It took me a few months to realize that that was why I kept getting plugged ducts and mastitis!) Basically you need to nurse frequently, apply heat, and REST! Make sure you are completely draining your breasts frequently. Some good basic info on these "lumps" on the La Leche League site at My breast hurts. What can I do?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• So far, great advice. Just wanted to add...do breast compressions while BF/P. Nurse,nurse,nurse. Also go to the kellymom website. Careful cuz it can get worse (infected)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I just attended a breastfeeding class and those lumps are clogged milk ducts. To get rid of them you genltly massage the breast downwards towards the nipple. To prevent them nurse your baby on one breast till its empty before offering the second breast to the baby.
    Ames826

Answer by Ames826 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2009