ok so u know how prenatal vitamins have the extra vitamns and minerals for u while ur pregnant?

so say u have a bunch left over- like enough for 4 or 5 months, will it hurt to take them even if u dont breast feed? do they have too much stuff in them for a non pregnant non lactating woman? i only have 2 weeks left of my pregnancy and i have 2 more bottles of pre natal vitamins left and i would hate to waste them but i dont want to get an overdose of vitamins or anything (i know that sounds stupid but i would rather be safe than sorry) thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Perfectly fine. I have been taking prenatals since December 2005 and I am neither pregnant nor breastfeeding anymore. I just had a complete physical with full blood work and everything came back perfect. I plan to take prenatals thoughout my childbearing days.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm not pregnant yet but I am taking them. But I would check with your doc about it. Just to make sure.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would ask your doctor, or even call a pharmacist. Pharmacists tend to be very knowledgable on this stuff as well. My friend took her prenatals all the time, before she was pregnant even...which I have heard is good to get your body ready for pregnancy, so I wouldn't think it would hurt anything.. but I would DEF ask one of those people just to be safe.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No it won't hurt, per my OB (and SEVERAL other docs) a prenatal is actually the best vitamin you can take during your child bearing years regardless of whether you are trying to get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• no i think it is fine. i am not a doc but if they give them to women trying to concieve then it would logically be fine for any women to be taking them, except maybe after metapause as that changes what the body needs more than most anything else...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009