My friend caught her 7 year old daughter humping a stuffed animal...

Is this normal behavoir? Should she talk to her daughters pediatrician? She told me she asked her daughter why, and her daughter said that her friend taught her how to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think she should talk with her daughter about why she is doing it, talk about appropriate places to do things like this (such as only in the bedroom, not in front of anyone else, etc) and also a great time to talk to her about "good touch bad touch" that if anyone else touches her in those places to let mommy or someone else know right away.

Behaviors like this are normal and natural. The mother needs to take advantage of the situation.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It feels good. I did it when I was a kid. She can call the ped and they will reassure her that it is normal for kids to do what they find pleasurable. My mom would yell at me when I did it, and all it did was make me find a better hiding place.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I am the PP. I would also add that your friend should not make a big issue about it. She should tell her dd that it is only appropriate in her bedroom. Then leave it at that.
    Anonymous

• Me and my best friend used to hump the corner of chairs and swing set poles.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't get all freaked out over once. Sexuality is all out there and kids are way smarter than adults and way smarter than their own parents. I'd just try to redirect her thoughts and actions and say doing that is not right or in private. Words not to make her feel bad cause it's probably just a childhood exploration thing like kids once in a while sometimes play doctor and need to be carefully redirected without guilt.
    Anonymous

• Totally normal. Kids all go through this stuff, it's called being Human. What I always told my kids was it just wasn't something we did in public. If you want to do that, go to your room and shut the door.
    Anonymous