Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help..

so i think.. well i know i have a shopping problem ive sacrificed bill money and that to buy things and mostly for my DD and it blew back in my face tonight and i have to confess to my husband my problem to get help but im scared of how to confess that im 12k in debt and how i need help :( idk how to go about telling him

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • Maybe you could do it in a therapy session? Having a third party moderate might give you courage and have helpful suggestions. Also, I would definetely buy (or check out at the library LOL) Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover." It really helps put debt in perspective and gives you a plan to get out of debt forever. My DH and I are doing the program and it is really helping, little by little. Good luck!

    Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • I would make some time to sit down in a quiet place after kiddoes are in bed BUT before its too late in the evening, when most people get so tired they can get cranky and not be able to talk thru important issues.

    Let your husband know that you feel like there is a need to get the family finances in order. Let him know that you see that 15 min. of shopping fun turns into years of stress, which isn't so fun. And that you realize that it puts unnecessary stress on him. Let him know that you are wanting to find some answers on how to set up a family budget and that you would like for him to hold you accountable and also to work with you on the budget.

    You can find lots of online tools at Dave Ramsey online and also Crown Ministry (which is where I learned financial counceling.) These two sites will get you started and there are people who can actually sit down with you and help you develop an good working plan. :)

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • Dave Ramsey's amazing. I would suggest 1. getting help. Counseling has done wonders for my PP and I know that they can do sessions with you and your husband (or you alone) regarding finances and why you feel the need to spend so much. Also, I would suggest finding a financial peace university course offered by you. You can just type in FPU in google and the site should come up. Good luck and remember, your husband married you for better or for worse :)

    Answer by amandad7 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.