• In the Spotlight:

Toddler Bed or Crib?

Hi there I have a very active 2 year old, and personally I think she should be in a toddler bed. My husband think she should still be in the crib. She is ready for a bed in my opinion, but then my husband thinks she should still be in the crib because it prevents her from getting out and running around the house when she isnt' supposed to. I think she needs to learn sometime how to sleep in a real bed. Does anyone feel the same way I do?

aebrown

Asked by aebrown at 10:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that is something you && DH have to come to an agreement on. personally, my son is 22 mos && he is still in a crib, mostly for the reasons your DH said to you about your daughter. I don't really have a set age in my mind as to when I'm going to transition him, but I don't feel that he is ready right now. My SO has a 27 mo old daughter who sleeps in a regular bed when she comes to visit on the weekends && she has gotten up, on more than a few occasions, before everyone else && made messes with things she never should have been into in the first place. In my opinion, she should still be in a crib as well, until she learns not to do things like that, but right now we don't have the extra money to go buy another crib....
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think it's definitely time to get her in a toddler bed! A friend of mine has a two year old & she has her daughter sleeping in a toddler bed. She's also quite active, but when it's time for bed, she'll get in it. It was a small bed, low to the ground, w/ rails on either side going halfway across...so it wasn't fully enclosed. The only problems is that she'd sometimes slide off the bed. I dunno how she slid down and out...lol...but kids sleep crazy sometimes.
    Anonymous

• THanks for your opinions ladies! Ya, we just can't seem to agree, so I guess she'll be in a crib for a while. We are moving in the next few weeks and I didn't really want to bring the crib? It turns into a toddler bed, but its bulky. I think in my mind a 2 1/2 year old should have their own bed. I was thinking 3 is too old. Don't know we'll see! Thanks again!
    aebrown

Answer by aebrown at 10:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My 2 year old has been in a twin bed for quite a while, and just today I moved my 18 mo old's crib out and put in a toddler bed. We'll find out 2nite how she does. Anyway like HisMommy said it's up to you and ur hubby to decide when it's right for the 'big' move. Good luck.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 10:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I personally agree more with your husband (but of course it's up to you two to work it out)... my daughter's 2 and is very active, but sleeps beautifully in her crib, never tries to get out. You never know how things will change with a transition like that. If there were clear benefits for moving her to a bed, they would be worth weighing against the potential difficulties it would pose... but I just don't see them (in our case, at least). She won't be in a crib forever. The APA recommends a crib until 3 unless the child is climbing out or there's some other reason to make the move (toilet training, new baby, etc). And technically your child is safe in there until she exceeds the weight limit. My daughter still sleeps in a ball, curled up against the railing. It comforts her. I have no worries whatsoever that she won't be able to learn to sleep in a bed when the time's right. She's met every other challenge like a pro!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:34 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My 15 month old is in a toddler bed...I use a gate on her door so that I can have the door open at night (so I can hear her) but so she can not go anywhere but in her room if she wakes up before us. Eventually we won't use the gate - but for now it keeps her safe and out of anything she shouldn't be in.
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My daughter is still in her crib.. she is almost 16 months. We are living in my parent's basement right now, so she sleeps in the same room as us. She does not try to get out of her crib, thank goodness! She sleeps so crazy right now I'd be scared to put her in a toddler bed... I'm sure she would fall right out.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 12:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my daughter was out of the crib befor 15 months.i think whoever spends more time with the child should have the ultamit say.toddaler beds are good and they help there confadence abit.it also helps them "be like momy and daddy" witch is sweet and teaches abit of indapendence^_* hope i helped
    roxieandlily

Answer by roxieandlily at 9:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2009