Any natural home remedies for inducing labor??? that are SAFE!

I am 37 wks 4 days prego with my son, and.. I am COMPLETELY miserable.. I went to the doc last week and she said that it looks like he will be close to 9 pounds.. yeah, thats what I thought too! I am a bit aprehensive about this.. and would like to speed up the process according to doc last week I am almost dilated to 2, but she didn't say anything about efacement... or inducing.. I just want to not be pregnant anymore.. I think he has got to be like 30 inches long or something.. I can't bend over, my face, feet and hands are swollen all the time!! I have no clothes that fit ... HELP! I think I am gonna prego forever!!!

Mom2Meredith

Asked by Mom2Meredith at 10:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well like I said you should NOT use castor oil or any type of cohosh so it's good you don't want to try that.

As far as sex is concerned it's different for everyone. Obviously if your cervix needs to ripen more than the more sex you have and the more times you allow the sperm to sit on your cervix the more time it has to work at softening that cervix!!

If your cervix is ripe and you just need to get contractions going than 1 time may do it for you. It's important for you to have a orgasm if your trying to stimulate contractions because orgasm releases Oxytocin (as does nipple stimulation) which causes the uterus to contract. \

Many women have had sucess by having sex and then falling asleep for a nap so the combination of the release of oxytocin and the prostaglandins can work together to get things going.
    Anonymous

• First of all, don't freak out about what they expect him to weigh. They are wrong more times than they are right about what the baby weighs. It is very hard to predict even with today's technology. But is there any way you could have sex? I have learned that it is the MOST EFFECTIVE way to get things going.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• well, my Dear husband is a bit odd when it comes to that.. he says he feels weird, like he would be hurting the baby.. he was like this when I was prego with my daughter as well.. so, its not unusual for him to say this.. I can give it a shot.. but as big as I am (he's all out front) its work... is it worth the work its going to take LOL
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 10:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Nothing will work, including medical induction, unless your body is ready and labor is within days anyway. That being said here are some SAFE natural methods that my doula, who works closely with a midwife, gave me. The midwife uses these when her patients are at risk for medical induction or when delivery is safer than the mother remaining pregnant.

-Raspberry Leaf Tea- Tones the uterus by causing small contractions. For some women this can be the push they need to go into labor and it's VERY good for your uterus. It's actually been shown to reduce labor time, pain and postpartum bleeding.

Continued Below....
    Anonymous

• -Cumin Tea- 1 cumin seed in 1 cup of boiling water, left to steep for 5 minutes. 1 CUP PER HOUR PER DAY. Place a cube of raw potato in the cup to soak up bitterness and add honey or sugar to sweeten. This is used by midwives in Latino communities for women who are at risk for medical induction or for those who are determined to be at a higher risk if they carry past a certain date such as women with gestational diabetes but is effective for many, many women.

-Nipple Stimulation- Breast Pump or hand NS for 2 minutes, take 3 minute break, NS for another 2 minutes and then take a 20 minute break and walk or have sex. If it doesn't bring on contractions you can up it to 3 minutes NS, 2 minute break, 2 more minutes NS but then take another 20 minute break to walk or have sex.

Acupressure- You can find the points on line that stimulate labor.
    Anonymous

• sex lol.
    and tuna did it for me...i had never made tuna before and the next morning after i ate it, i was in labor lol :)
    Mrs.Loeffel

Answer by Mrs.Loeffel at 11:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• -Sex- there are prostaglandins in human sperm that help to ripen the cervix. Interestingly these are the SAME prostaglandins that are in Cervidil which is derived from pig sperm and used in inductions in the hospital. Also orgasm can stimulate contractions. Lay in bed for 30 minutes after having intercourse for the sperm to set on your cervix.

-Exercise-Exercises that use gravity such as walking, hula dancing, belly dancing, etc. can help apply pressure to the cervix, the baby to "drop" and get things going.

-Bumpy Car Ride- This may sound like an old wives tale but if your baby isn't in a good position for labor (such as facing forward instead of facing down toward your back) this can help him get into a good position and apply pressure to the cervix. A friend of mine actually did this last week and was contracting by the time she got home!
    Anonymous

• THINGS THAT SHOULD NOT BE USED ARE:

-Blue or Black Cohosh because they have been related to infant heart attack and severe bleeding during delivery

- Castor Oil because it can severely dehydrate the mother and cause the baby to release meconium which can cause very serious complications during delivery including death to your baby if it is not handled quickly enough and effectively.
    Anonymous

• get an exercise ball!!! if you have any steps, walk up and down them. repeatedly. walking is the best thing you can do.

if you still want some advice in the morning, pm me. i have a friend thats an ob nurse
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009