Antisemetic?

Anon's question reminded me of this. A friend and I have had this debate for a while, about the cutesy sayings churches put on their signs, like CH__CH, what's missing? Anyway, there's a church up the road that uses the same one a lot:
Give Jesus a try, if you don't like it Satan will always take you back.

Now, Jews do not worship Jesus, and Jesus was a Jew. Is this church calling all Jews worshipers of Satan, or have they just not bothered to spend time thinking about the full meaning of what the saying is? I know a lot of people use it on bumper stickers, too, same question. Are there that many anti-semites in the world, or is it just carelessness?

Same church, uses a different saying for Mother's Day, too long for here, but basically saying only Christians make good mothers. Except, what about Mary??

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that they are basically oblivious to the tone of such signs. They view the entire world as christian which is one reason they make such a fuss when atheists put up signs. And, until a Jewish person files a complaint, such insensitivity will continue.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• IMO, they are not thinking about what they are putting on those boards. They don't even consider what Jewish people might feel. Wasn't Jesus a Jew? What about Mary?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Actually I kind of chuckled at that... there's a church right near my parents' house that employs the same kind of cutesy sayings on their billboards and some of them are quite funny. That being said, I tend not to like the message underlying it because it just perpetuates the idea that if you're non-Christian you're 'with Satan.' As a non-Christian that kind of bugs me. I don't think they are thinking of the message they are sending out. Or maybe they are, which is maybe worse when you think about it!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah, most of them don't think about it. They just think anyone who is not a "Christian" is in league with satan. They forget about the Jews and Muslims who whorship the same god (more of less) but they don't believe in what the bible says.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think they aren't thinking; they are just trying to be cute or funny. I don't think they are really anti-semetic at all. They are just trying catch your attention as you drive down the road.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Because the Jews were the chosen people of God they were given the Messianic Law. This told them how to live and taught them that they were imperfect. When Jesus came to earth he fullfilled this law because he did not sin. Because the law was fulfilled there was no longger a reason for the Jewish faith to continue. They were meant to follow Jesus from then on and become the original Christians. However, Jesus, his parents and followers were all Jews. The reason for this is because until Jesus fulfilled that law and negated the Jewish faith there was no Christianity and therefore they couldn't have been Christians. Prior to the onset of the Christian faith upon Jesus' death Gods chosen people were the Jews, not because they had a path to him through Jesus but because they followed his law. Today, the Jews have no belief in Jesus and thus are outside the teachings of the Church... cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Therefore in the eyes of the Church they are wrong. Now, in the eyes of God are they wrong? Well, we don't know. Jehovah promised so much to the Jews in acient times and there is no reason to think that those promises will not be fulfilled if they haven't already. But there is also no reason to think that they continue to be God's Chosen ones.

God gave them an out, he sent his son to guide them, and they killed him... I'm not sure they would stay in my favor.

Many Christian paths teach that they are the only way! They teach that there is no way to be a decent person unless you are Christian. It's very common and very unfortunate. This belief would include Jews, Muslums as well as Pagans and others. It's sad that in this day and age they are still spouting the same crap they used to torture, rape, maim and murder durring the Crusades. But it's true.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think anyone who is not a Christian are quick to judge and expect the worst from them. You all are proving to be God haters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The cute church signs don't ever tell the whole story. Yes, Jesus was a Jew, physically speaking, He was also God in the fleash. The Jews were and I believe still are God's choisen people. This is why the messiah, Christ, came to the Jews and as a Jew. The early church was Jewish Christians. It wasn't until after the nation of Isreal rejected Christ that Paul began to preach to the Gentiles, or the rest of us. Peter still remained the head of the Jewish church. If you read the book of Acts you will see that God never has turned His back on the Jews. I believe there will be a time of awakening in Isreal.
    Also, the purpose for the nation of Isreal was to be a blessing to the nations of the world. It's not an either or situation. God wants all to be saved.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• What about Mary? She was a perfect example of a faithful God fearing servant. She never questioned the Lord once, and did all he asked. your question is uneducated for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009