Do you let your toddler have candy?

My SIL has let my neice have suckers, chocolate, and pop since she was probably about 10 months old (maybe sooner, Im not sure) she is now three and throws a fit everyday for candy or pop. My DD is 18 months and has only had a small tast of chocolate on Easter. Never suckers or pop. I think it's a bad idea to teach small children bad eating habits at such a young age. They have the rest of their lives to eat junk food, why start now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good for you!! Its easy to parent children and give them what they want, at least till they are big as you, then they start telling the parent what to do and where to go! LOL

You are a wise parent. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I don't give my son candy and soda everyday, but I let him gave a taste or a sip every now and then. I trick him usually and just make him THINK that he is getting soda or something....but my in laws are HORRIBLE about giving him chocolate and cold drinks. It infuriates me so bad! They say I am making him fat (which he isn't), but they can give him WHATEVER they want to and just be being grandparents.
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes. I am a horrible parent. I give my kids candy on occasion. Something sweet once in a while, damn I should get the worst parent in the world award.
    Even if my kids do demand sweets they don't get them, actually they definitely don't get them if they are demanding them. They are treats and should be given occasionally.
    Anonymous

• He gets yogurt and chocolate covered raisins and only sips of gingerale out of my dads cup. On holidays he gets candy sometimes.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No candy or soda. (MY BRO N SIS DO THIS...)If ANYONE offers or gives it to the kids while visiting someone else's house, they leave right away and punish the kids. The family gets PISSED, but guess what...Family will NOT do it again.
    Kids don't need sugar and in our family we have a history of obesity and diabetes.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Not hard candy, it's a choking hazard! And I would never give soda to a toddler, there is no nutritional value to it. Yogurt smoothies, juices, strawberry milk or even chocolate milk would be a more appropriate treat for a young child. They'd at least be getting some calcium or vitamin C.

My 17-month-old gets a taste of ice cream or chocolate now and then. I think there's room for sugary treats in a balanced diet. He eats plenty of fruit, vegetables, lean protein and whole grain, so a little treat here and there is no big deal. It sounds like your SIL isn't thinking about balanced nutrition. Hope she wises up before the dental bills come.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 12:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i have a 20 month old and I never give him any junk food ever. I have a teenager and I never gave her candy either. She had her first taste of junk food when she was 5 yrs old, she had a piece of cake.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2009