When can I use regular toothpaste instead of the Orajel stuff?

I brush my 16 mo olds teeth with the orajel toothpaste and the little finger toothbrush, but I feel like it's not even cleaning! When can I use a regular toothbrush and toothpaste on him?

juliagoolia0208

Asked by juliagoolia0208 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They have kid-friendly toothpastes out there. Try one of those. Diego, spongebob, all kinds of fun tasty pastes for the kids LOL He's old enough now that you can use one of those.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Use the kid toothpaste until they quit swallowing it. My three year old still uses it because he swallows it, instead of rinsing and spitting.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• There are usally ages or stages listed, the one for under 2 is usually the one that is okay if digested.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You can use a toothbrush now. Just make sure it's small enough for his mouth.

You should not use any toothpastes that have flouride until he is old enough to not swallow and knows how to rinse and spit. That's usually sometime after his 3rd birthday.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I was told by my pediatrician to use a tiny tiny amount of flouride toothpaste on a kids size toothbrush starting at age 15 months. He may swallow a tiny bit but it's not enough to harm him at all.
    I would ask your pediatrican just to be sure. You could also call your regular dentist and they could probably tell you over the phone what is appropriate.
    SBC0110

Answer by SBC0110 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2009