How do I get my baby to like the water - and fast?

Okay, I need some fast suggestions (as in swim lessons are not an option). I'm usually good at prep work, but this has snuck up on me. We are leaving for the beach on Sat. and over the past 4 weeks, my 15 month old has decided he HATES getting a bath. My other 2 children never did this. We've tried all different kinds of toys, water temperature, singing, he just cries the whole bath. Ideas? We are taking him to the pool tomorrow evening to see how that goes. He just hunches down and puts his hands on the bottom of the tub?

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just b/c he dosent like the bath does not mean he dosent like water. My DD 17 mo hates to take a bath but once u put her on a beach she runs straight into the water up to her knees every time. She loves the ocean, kiddie pools, lakes, etc. but hate to take a bath. There are these tadoodles made for the bathtub that area really great they are in the marker/crayon section at Wal Mart. They color on the bathtub sides but wipe off w/ no effort.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We put those little gripper things in the bottom of our tub. I found ours at Target for like 3 bucks and they are really cute frogs. My son really likes them. You could try something like that. And we just have lots of floaty toys and splash the water with him. I made a big deal evertime I would splash the water and so he would start laughing and do it too. It gets you wet but it's fun!
    juliagoolia0208

Answer by juliagoolia0208 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Have you tried getting in the tub with him? Maybe if you both sit in the tub and play and splash together, he'll realize that water can be fun!
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I agree that he may still like the ocean without liking his bath... but I don't think you can do anything to force him to like the water. He's not the one who chose a beach vacation... Most kids that young won't spend too long in the ocean at a time anyway, so I'm sure you've been imagining someone sitting on the beach (under an umbrella) or completely even off the beach with him a good amount of the time. He will probably enjoy the sand, etc and you can cool him down with a squirt bottle if he needs it. Don't go into it with the attitude that you won't have a fun vacation unless he's swimming gleefully. I would just plan going into that he won't want to be in the water much, and that way you can be pleasantly surprised if he becomes a little fish on your vacation.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2009