I'm a 23 year old mother of two (Huner 4 and Ryleigh 16 months). Jus recently divorced an raising my kids on my own with no help from their dad. My son has been acting out an becoming uncontrolable at times, I cant even take him out in public without a scene of some kind. I'm almost at my wits end can anyone give me some advice before I lose all sense of sanity...

Marci48

Asked by Marci48 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• can you all go see a counseler that works with kids? Also give them extra special mommy time. I know when I give my kids special undivided attention they are better behaved. And also the less stressed I am the better mother I am and the better my kids act. When we are all stressed we don't do very well. Findf a support group to help you during this time and each of you learn how to take "positive" time outs. meaning whenever anyone is going to "loose it" or has "lost it" go do something that makes you feel better. I hope this helps. I'm sorry what you all are going through :(
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is almost 5 and I've discovered that he behave's better when he get's special privileges. Staying up later, playing a game or watching one of his big boy show's.
    This dosen't always work. His dad has nothing to do with him? I really hope not, unless it's for his safety. Every boy needs his daddy's love. If that's not possible then my hat's off to you. Things will be rough and I hope he is able to come to terms with it. Talk to his teacher if he's in school and ask if there's any help/support or counselling you can take advantage of. He is likely having a hard time dealing with his feelings on the divorce.
    I thank my mother often for the choices she made in leaving my dad. We are much better off. He's in a fairly bad way anymore. I love my mom for her strength!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• he's probably reacting to your stress. Try to remain calm. Ignore bad behavior and praise good behavior. Give him attention when you can. He'll calm down but you have to stay calm and not stress so much. Make sure dad is paying child support though. Not helping out with the kids sucks but if he's not paying child support then that's inexcusable.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Can you call dad and have him talk to son? Maybe that is all he needs is to talk to dad? He is acting out because he wants to see dad.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009