what can I do...

for my 9 month old who has diarrhea...she has had it 3 times since noon. the first one was a HUGE explosion with a horrid smell and since then it's just been more watery...I also had it (TMI) yesterday for a couple of hours...is it something I could have passed through breastmilk...I just don't want her to get dehydrated or feel crappy...any suggestions? thanks

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's very unlikely you passed it to her... she probably picked up a stomach bug at ANY place public, daycare, store, church... it's spread very easily.
    To keep her hydrated continue to breastfeed, but shorten the duration and feed more frequently. You can aslo offer small amounts of pedialyte.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Make sure she's drinking plenty of fluids, either through a sippy cup or bottle. Keep her as clean as possible and change her immediately after a wet poopy diaper or she'll start getting irritated. You can even spread some vasoline down there to create a barrier. If she's not better by tomorrow or starts running a fever, see about taking her to the doctor's. Lay off any solid food that is spicy or has cheese in it for right now. Try just oatmeal or rice cereal, it might help bulk up her poop and is blander for her stomach.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2009