Do we have to replace the car seat?

I was rear-ended at a light last week while driving with my 17-month-old. Damage was minor: some broken plastic over one brake light, a few dings on the rear bumper, a slight dent in my trunk. The car is still drive-able and most importantly nobody was hurt!

I've read that car seats need to be replaced after a collision and I think our son's life is worth shelling out another $100. (Money is tight but I could find a good deal on a new seat and we could still pay our bills.) But my husband thinks the manufacturers are just trying to sell more seats and that I'm being fooled by their b.s.! So I'm torn between protecting our child and keeping my husband happy.

What would you do? Replace the seat and piss off my husband, a loving husband and father who hates to part with his money (I'm a SAHM with no income of my own) or possibly jeopardize my son's safety with a seat that doesn't look damaged but might be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can always call the manufacturer and ask! After that call your car insurance company (or the other guys?) and tell them there was a car seat in the vehicle that needs to be added to the claim. To my knowledge, they are supposed to replace it.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would replace...the wreck could have put fractures in the carseat and make it weak if you were to get into another wreck. I would get another carseat ASAP!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think as long as the seat wasn't hit it's ok. If it got slammed by an air bag or a side impact I would get a new one but not for a "little" accident.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm a SAHM and $$ is tight for us too. I would say replace it if it were a bigger accident, but it sounds likes a fender bender. I wouldn't.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes. Replace it. It's like the bumper. It may not show any damage, it may look fine, but the underlying structure has been compromised. In general, if YOUR seat belt locked up in the accident - you know how they lock sometimes when you move too quickly - then replace it.

Most insurance compaines cover the carseat without a deductible. Call and ask them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would replace the car seat, I agree with you, there is no price you can put on the safety of your child.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It could be damaged and you can't see it and that is why you MUST replace it. You should be able to get it covered by insurance. They may have a set amount that they pay (say $75) or something, but at least you will get some compensation.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Replace.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'd replace it since there is damage to the car. If there wasn't damage then I wouldn't.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Thank you ladies. I will try to get the insurance company to pay for a new car seat. Barring that I will go head-to-head with my husband about getting a new one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2009