what suppliment can you take to help milk production after you already started breast feeding and your supply starts to run out?

newsmom101

Asked by newsmom101 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• fenugreek
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• fenugreek worked for me.
    corinnejenkins

Answer by corinnejenkins at 12:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nurse as much as possible.

Pump after baby feeds for at least 5 min even if you're dry. Also, between feedings --- especially if baby sleeps through a feeding.

Fenugreek - 3 pills, 3 times/day.

You'll go from not having enough to having too much --- you'll be nursing exclusively, have several bottles in the fridge, and be working on freezing it within 2 wks.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. Drink lots of water, pump one side while baby feeds the other. Get baby and you (on the top) naked and spend all day skin to skin. Take a weekend and stay in bed with baby the whole time. Take Fenugreek. My LC recommended starting with the dose on the bottle of fenugreek (for me 2 pills 3 times a day) and keep increasing until you smell like maple syrup. For me that ended up at 4 pills 3 times a day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Pardon, my ignorance, but what is fenugreek, and where can you buy it?

homespun

Answer by homespun at 7:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• you can buy fenugreek at The Vitamin Shoppe. Maybe GNC, too, but I haven't checked. It's in capsule form.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Fenugreek -- GNC, any health food store, the vitamin isle at grocery stores, even in the spices section sometimes since it is one of the spices in curry

Eat oatmeal!!!! It boosts milk supply as well. Make oatmeal cookies with extra oats and only half the sugar to snack on.

Mother's Milk Tea -- in the health food section, or in with the regular teas at grocery stores. Also any health food store.

Nurse as much as possible. Pump only after nursing, not before. De-stress! At least try to relax. LOL
    Rik-E

Answer by Rik-E at 8:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nurse on demand as much as possible, and pump after each feeding. Take Fenugreek, mother's milk tea, blessed thistle, alfalfa, and eat oatmeal. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest, so nap every time the baby does. Also, eating is VERY important. You need more calories now than when you were pregnant. Stay well hydrated also. Your body needs water to produce liquids. You can tell if you're dehydrated by paying attention to your pee. Generally, the darker it is the more dehydrated you are. If none of that works there are prescriptions for increasing your supply as well. When nursing switch sides at least 2 or 3 times during a feeding. Always offer both breasts during a feeding also. Make sure you keep nursing or pumping after you let down and for a few minutes after you go dry. Don't offer pacifiers or bottles. If (s)he needs to suck on something, give her boob!
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 8:25 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Thank you for answering my question, but may I inquire what is fenugreek, and where you learned about it?   I am going to look for it next time I am in GNC.  As for me, drinking water helps as well as nursing without regard to a schedule, also I avoided caffeine. it  acts as a diueretic, it seems  like common sense that you would want to retain fluid not lose it.,  probably best to ask a nursing consultant or your doctor.  Thanks again!

homespun

Answer by homespun at 8:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Mothers milk tea works really good. It helped me in less then 2 days.
    luchousdiva

Answer by luchousdiva at 9:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2009