Carseats?

At what age or weight do you need to go to a sit up car seat/foward facing? and any advice on which ones?

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 12:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The MINIMUM is 20 lb AND 12 months. I would recommend checking out some youtube videos about extended rear facing though before you make the switch. Personally, I buy the cheapest I can find. They all have to pass safety inspections and we don't spend that much time in the car where we need a kajillion bells and whistles.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• oh girl, u will receive so many varied responses to this question! I know i did!! First check the weight limit on your current one and if he or she excedes that limit than try a reversible one that can work both forward and rear facing. That was the basic concensus(sp?) that I got.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The kiddo has to be 20lbs AND 12+ months. I have heard nothing but good things about Britax carseats, but they can be pretty pricey. I have also had very good luck with the Graco carseats that I have purchased. I think it is important to research the different brands and also their safety ratings. I feel that a carseat is NOT something to "cheap out" on, you cannot put a price on your child's safety.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Most of the states that have laws on this say a minimum of 12 months AND 20 pounds. That means that a 25 pound 8 month old must be rear facing. And a 18 pound 16 month old needs to be rear facing.
    Many recommend leaving the child rear facing longer - as long as you want or until they outrgrow their car seat.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• to face forward they have to be 20lbs and 12+ months...but you can get a convertible carseat as truthteller0722 mentioned. That's what I have always done, and you can use them for a long time since they are rear facing, forward facing, and some are even able to be converted to a booster later on.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• As to which one... the best seat is the one you will use. That means:
    You find the belt system easy to use. Graco and Britax have good reputations for that.
    It fits in your car. Every car is different. Ask to take the floor model out to your car for a quick test fit.
    You can afford it. Britax can be pricey. Graco a little less.
    I really like our Graco.

Every seat has to pass the same safety tests.
    Other things to look for: An easy to remove and wash seat cover. Best is if you don't have to uninstall the seat and remove the belt system to get it off. Toddlers have diaper blow-outs, potty training accidents, and spill snacks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Britax is what we are getting yes they have to pass safety inspections but if u read reviews u can tell which ones are better. Some have added safety features.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I have an Alpha Omega for my 4 year old, she has had it since she was 22 pounds (leaving the pumpkin seat) she used it rear facing, and used it forward facing and then as a booster with belt.. it was probably the most awesome car seat.. When I bought I thought i bought it for up to 80 pounds, it was 40, so we have since had to buy a new one and went with Maxi-Cosi, which isn't too bad I must say,,., but I am huige fan of Alpha Omega (cosco) and Eddie Bauer.. :) Hope this helps.. Britax's like above mentioned are really nice.. but they are HUGE if you have a smaller car,, yyou will be kicking yourself for getting something just for the little tag that says the brand.. especially since ALL have to pass safety standards :) Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• When they outgrow the infant carrier by weight (most are to 22lbs) or their is less than 1" of shell above their head, you need to move them to a convertible installed REAR facing. Most convertibles on the market can stay rear facing until 35lbs, but you'll need to check the owner's manual for the seat you choose. Again, its based on weight and height. If they get tall enough that there is less than 1" of hard shell above their head, you'll have to turn it forward, regardless of weight. If they exceed the weight limit, you'll have to turn them forward, regardless of height.
    You CAN turn them at 1 year AND 20lbs, but its not safe and the AAP recommend rear facing to the limits of the seat. My 25lb, 34in tall 2 year old rides rear facing.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You need to switch to a FF seat after 35 lbs. You can switch as early as 1 yr and 20 lbs, but do not have to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009