Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tell DR about postpardum depression? HELP!

I am a new mommy and I have noticed that I am very sad, angry at my baby when she doesn't listen or just does "little kid stuff." I have been feeling like this for awhile and am very scared/nervous to tell my doctor. I also have been crying a lot, lashing out at my spouse and not interested in anything but sleep! I don't even want to be intimate or go to the grocery store. What is the best way to tell your doctor? I am really scared they will think I am a bad mom and judge me. I just feel nervous bringing it up not about talking about it once it is out. Even my spouse tells me I need meds. What do I do??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (6)
  • Can your spouse come with you to the appointment? Perhaps having the moral support there will help you tell him what you NEED to. I know it is hard, but don't be embarrassed. So many mothers go through it, and it DOES NOT make you a bad mother. Being a bad mother would be not getting treatment when you know there is a problem. All you need to say is,

    " I have not been myself since I have had my LO." I am emotional, tense, irritable, and don't have any interest in anything."

    All of these symptoms are normal, and if you phrase it like this, it is an indicator to the doctor that you need some help. Your SO is here for this sort of thing. Tell him you need his support in your next appointment. Good Luck!

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • just be honest! your dr will not judge you! You are a better person for admiting it and getting help before it leads to worse things! Call them and tell them that you need in asap! Good luck!

    Answer by kcriswell at 12:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Just tell the dr what you told us. You dr will want to help you. It is common in new moms. I would be surprised if they haven't already asked you about it. Please do not be embarrassed about it. Your dr cannot help you unless you tell them something is wrong. They are not mind readers.

    If for some reason they mock you or don't listen to your concerns, then find a new dr. This is a serious issue and it needs to be taken seriously.

    You could start out by saying that you are feeling tired and upset a lot. Then tell them that you are getting frustrated with you dh and you baby.

    Big Hugs!

    Answer by Nathskitten at 12:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • trust me your doc has heard it before and will commend you for coming forward. Do it for your family hon, be brave and just be honest...good luck and you are not alone.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 12:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • It is not uncommon and there are varying degrees of it. Just tell your doctor and he/she will prescribe meds. If you get anything but help and support then you would want another doctor.

    Answer by partiesbyjan at 5:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • do you have medical clinics in your area? if your just uncomfortabe having your family doctor know maybe it would be easier to go to a clinic and be anonymous. they can give you meds and yoyr fam doc never has to know. don't feel badly, millions of women suffer similar symptoms as you, this is nothing you can control, so don't blame yourself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.