The first black Disney Princess - "The Princess and the Frog" causing controversy?

Disney is set to release "The Princess and the Frog" and it is already causing quite a stir. Some arguments are as follows:
1. Black princess without a black prince - "Which has led some critics to complain that Disney has ducked the opportunity for a fairytale ending for a black prince and princess. While some have hailed Disney's decision as a reflection of melting pot America, others say the company is sending out a mixed message."
2. Set in New Orleans - "This princess story is set in New Orleans, the setting of one of the most devastating tragedies to beset a black community."
3. Written by 'White people' - “I was not only unimpressed with this too-little-too-late idea, but downright wary of the thought of White folks writing about Black folks and presenting it to Black children,” wrote Jennifer Daniels on BET. "my ‘Boys’ could write a better story than this.”

What do you think? cont.

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 12:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• On a positive note, some critics say that it celebrates unity among races. And gives young black girls a true life dream and is a tribute to Michelle Obama being a princess in the "white house castle"

Do we think too much into these Disney movies?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Honestly, I dont care if the princess is freaking blue! Belle or Aurora could've been black and I wouldve still loved the movie. Jasmine and Aladdin were Arabic, weren't they? I plan on seeing "The princess and the frog". I love disney movies.

It's just another thing to argue and complain about. It's a kid's movie. I doubt my four year old sister is going to be thinking about the fact that the princess is black. She'll probably be more entertained with the frog anyway.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think to much is being made out of this. It is a movie for petes sake! Why must people be so damn quick to bitch about a Disney movie of all things?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• 1) I think it's cool that she's black but the prince isn't. If he WAS also black they would have been accused of being against interracial relationships so this one is really a no win situation.

2) Okay this is the only one I'll give a little bit, that is rather odd to set it in New Orleans and I don't even mean racially. Just considering what the entire city has been through you'd think they would pick somewhere else.

3) Written by white people? As if we are so different that a white person could never possibly understand a black person or vice versa? Give me a break. I'm quite certain there are black people that work for Disney.

Just my thoughts. I know they're long, sorry I'm bored. LOL.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• yes its a cartoon and these writers do research and focus groups. there was controversy with mulan and pocohantas and prob more...people are always going to be in uproar as to continuity...we need to remember its entertainment and fiction.
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i think that's hilarious! we should rewrite everything in the entertainment industry to reflect every ethnic group!! that should keep the writers from going on strike anytime soon!
    whatever.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think people have too much time on their hands and want to find things to b**** about. It's a cartoon not a documentary.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• BET??? will they EVER be satisfied with life and stop with the RACE CARD????!!!!???

GET OVERRRRRRR it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My girls are excited to see it, my son is excited to see it. If there is any controversy past the selection of candy at the concession stand, I plan to ignore it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Anon :05:  BET??? will they EVER be satisfied with life and stop with the RACE CARD????!!!!??? GET OVERRRRRRR it.

Well, racial equality has only been around for about 50 years, give or take a few? 

Don't you think that saying African Americans should "get over" being treated like second class citizens is a bit like our grandchildren in 50 years telling us to "get over" 9/11?  Or us telling our grandparents to "get over" Pearl Harbor?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2009