Why

Why do people post G-d instead of His name? I don't understand. Is it the feeling of being irreverant at using His name? Are you ashamed? Why not just call God, who He is?

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 1:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thank you for the replys, I knew that about the name Yhwh but I didn't know that modern jews followed that tradition. That is why in the New Testament you see Adoni most often because that means Lord.

O.K. that explains Jewish folks, but why then do Christians do that. I have seen, not on this site, but a Christian message board the same thing.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I know what you mean.. When people are on tv and says the guy up stairs, or higher power I dont understand just say God .. Thanks for this question I agree with you

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't get it either and have wondered about that since I got on this site.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I say and spell God all the time. I also say Father God when I am speaking about the deities (yes, I believe in two) that I belive in. I don't know why people don't spell it out. Maybe it is a fear that has been ingrained in them that if they say his name but aren't "believers" they will be damned to hell?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• God's name is treated with unusual care in Jewish tradition. The divine name, YHWH (spelled with the Hebrew letters yud, hey, vav, hey) is never pronounced. There's more too it but this is a quick brief explaination... and not all Jews still follow this practice.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Bonn777 is right.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• The Jewish faith believes putting God on paper is disrespectful.  That is why the G-d.  They are showing their respect (in their belief) to him...that is why they do it.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:14 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• THIS IS THE ERA OF ABREVIATIONS.

Answer by older at 8:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• In addition to Jewish respect for things concerning God, God is a title, not a name. Just as saying Lord is a title, not a name.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well,I learned something new today,as well. I never realized that about the Jewish faith. Thanks for sharing that. Guess I'm never too old to learn something new! LOL.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2009