As a society, do you feel we have become more respectful of other religions....

or have we become more intolerant?
I truly mean no disrespect or offense by asking this question. But between the R&B section and the Politics and Current Events section, I have seen more and more questions/answers regarding personal and/or political religious preferences that have turned into battles.
Have we become more or less tolerant? Why?

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think Education breeds Tolerance... And people are generally so Against any form of religious education, especially for their kids, that Tolerance can't be bread. Ignorance takes flight and takes everyone for a ride. The problem is that every time it lands more people get on and less are getting off.

Take a look at 9/11. That was a good long time ago now, almost a decade at this point. But the hate that so many felt towards Muslims on that day didn't fade as the memories did. It has spread, world wide! It has spread to the point that it's STILL affecting what people think of Obama just because his FATHER is Muslim - not him, his father. And good innocent people aren't able to walk down the road or move in to "better" neighborhoods for fear of what others will do to them, just because they are Muslim. A handful of extremists (which every religion has) has ended what little tolerance there was for this faith.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't know that we've become MORE intolerant but I definitely haven't seen any improvement either.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't know if we are more tolerant or less, But I know we should all be striving for more tolerance.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Depends on what country you live in.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• More people have become more tolerant, while the intolerant have gotten louder.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I just think the intolerant have become louder. And, since 911, more people have been willing to listen to anything that is against the big bad Muslims. Most people don't realize that Muslims are actually against any kind of physical violence. So, true Muslims are actually against what Al Quida (sp?) did.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Islam Extremists are what we do not tolerate!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Not really, sad but true. spiritguide_23 EXCELLENT post. 100% agree.

I wear the Islamic veil and am normally immune to the dirty stares and the people to cuss at me. But it hits you hard when your out with your Christian friend and she starts crying because of how other "Christians" are treating you. Or you at a job interview and some old white guy says, "Are you going to wear that thing at work".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We still have a lot of work to do in that aspect
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• http://www.thomasmore.org/qry/page.taf?id=19

What about the Christians (me) read this it is a tearing down of everything America stands for and was founded on! This does make me angry when I think about it , Christians we need to vote more!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2009