my backyard has alot of mosquitos, i'm having a BBQ, any suggestions for keeping them away from the food and people?

proudmomma777

Asked by proudmomma777 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Dryer sheets are suppose to work wonders.... I'd also mix up some lemon and eucalyptus oils - it's also VERY good at keeping them away...
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I like in Skeeter country and they won't bother your food. Bounce dryer sheets work pretty good, but the best way is to use mosquito spray. If it has deet in it, just spray it over your clothes, you don't have to put it on your skin if you don't want to.
    Citronella candles or green coils don't work good enough by themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• By the way, skeeters don't usually come out until evening after the sun starts to set.
    Have fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• try tike torches and a deet free bug rpellent
    newmom461

Answer by newmom461 at 5:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• There is a product"Cutter for lawns"-
    You attach to your hose & spray the grass & shurbery-It's a great help-Other than a mosquito vacumn this is the best I've found-
    isles

Answer by isles at 6:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• We use a great spray called Buzz Away by Quantum; it is relatively non-toxic (mostly citronella oil). You can check the safety of products at the Skin Deep data base: www.ewg.org
    Citronella candles work really well, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Go to your local green house and pick up a couple of potted marigold plants. You can set one on each table as a center piece, or if finances aren't an issue, you can boarder the area with them. Mosquitos can't stand marigold (it's a natural insect repellent, so it will keep others away too) and it's a great way to keep everyone bug bite free without having to worry about anyone being allergic to the chemicals in spray. Then, once your BBQ is over you can plant them in your yard somewhere. I would recommend close to wherever you do most of your entertaining.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 7:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I keep hearing those dryer fabric softener sheets work. I just the same question in one of my groups. I am a mosquito magnet! Those citronella candles never seem to keep them away unless they're right there on you. I've caught fire to those torches. Avon skin so soft works!! It's gotten expensive though. I went looking for it this weekend. The lady above is right on another secret I discovered. Marigolds in your garden and flower beds keep away mosquito.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My uncle just told me to put ORANGE listerine in a spray bottle. Never tried it but woild love to know if it works.
    shajdinyak

Answer by shajdinyak at 7:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My hubby bought a fogger at lowes. We only have to use it about 1 time a week. We also take it camping with us. It really seems to help. I will put a link below so you can see the product info.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39120-1306-190095&lpage=none
    momieeeof3

Answer by momieeeof3 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2009