is 5 months to late to get your baby to take a pacifier

my ds is so irritable and he always wants to suck on something so i give in and nurse him alot is there any way that he may take a pacifier if so do you know any tricks to get him to take it and do you know of any really good pacifiers to get him started
thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he prob. wont take one but if he dosent that is a good thing my daughters both have them and let me tell ya it sucks trying to get them stop useing them. i know this sounds bad now but just think in 7 more months he wont want to suck that much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• sorry mom but its too late for that now. :o(
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My baby was 3 months when I got him started because he would stick his hands in his mouth and he would drool all over. If you are bottle feeding then you probably want to get something closer to the shape of the bottles nipple cuz he is used to that shape and babies don't like to try new things, at least thats how it was with my babies. They got some Ortho pacifiers but I don't think it really matters a binkey is a binkey and it will probably take a few tries before he gets used to it,
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If he must suck on something, he'll use his thumb or fingers. Be VERY happy he isn't addicted to a pacifier lol, I'm already dreading the day I have to wean my son from his and I kick myself for ever giving him one to begin with. Keep in mind too that his comfort nursing is very healthy for you! Plus, he is helping to maintain your supply which will probably go down a bit if you give him a pacifier. I know Anon said in 7 months he probably wont want to suck that much, but I'll say in probably 3 months he wont. When he starts really teething you can offer him something. I have a mesh food feeder thing that I stick frozen grapes in and he loves it. My son didn't start cutting his teeth until he was just about 9 months. Around 7 months he no longer HAD to suck on his pacifier, but still needs it at night. Now he just has to have it to play with :o/
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 8:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Quite honestly I think it's too late... we took ours away from our kids at 5 months because it's a good time to take it away... if you don't want your baby sucking a pacifier into the toddler years. My first daughter pretty much did it on her own, but my second started using her fingers. She got better and better at it (at 5 months she had trouble keeping them in there -- but still it was better than her trying to keep her paci in there), and by about 7 months she was great at comforting herself with them. Now at 9 months she hardly uses them anymore. She'll get through it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2009